Christian Chapter Chat

1.30.2006

Intense Moment in Jerusalem

I love this story. I wish there were more stories like this in Scripture. We know next to nothing about Jesus' formative years, absolutely nothing of their time in Egypt. I can imagine one of the first disciples asking Mary "Tell us another one about Jesus when he was little." and her regaling them with all kinds of stories. "Oh, and then there was the time we lost him for four days in Jerusalem!" When we love someone as an adult we want to know all about how they got to be the person we love, and usually their mothers are the ones more than willing to spill the beans. I have stories I've told my daughters-in-law about my sons. The sons squirm and the daughters-in-law roll on the floor laughing.

I'm still getting used to Gire's way of describing events he had no way of knowing were true (Jesus flinching at the slaughter of the lamb) but I definitely appreciate his prayers at the end of each chapter. Help me to understand that the greater my love for you, the sharper the sword will be... I need to remember that a life in Christ is not a bed of roses and isn't supposed to be.

3 Comments:

  • What a tough thing to learn, isn't it? We love to think that life will be EASIER with Christ in it, yet His life wasn't easier with US in it, now was it?

    But it does seem unfair that the more we love Him, the sharper the sword. You'd think there'd be a learning curve and then a chance for peace and quiet!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:46 AM  

  • I think that must be part of the mystery and the irony. It comes back to our own understanding of "fair" and how it doesn't necessarily coincide with God's.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 10:53 AM  

  • Oh yeah...There I am trying to get God to walk on MY road again!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home