Christian Chapter Chat

9.29.2006

Shadows

"We live in an upside-down world"


There is a myriad of ways that we can see that truth every day. When our relationship with Jesus starts to set us right-side-up, we come into conflict with all the upside-down thinking we've all come from. I think what surprises me most is when Christians have thinking that is still glaringly upside-down. It is no surprise when people who are in the shadows live like they live in darkness. But it amazes me how much we can live in the shadows when we know the "Light".

"Shadows pursued the light all the way to the cross"


I love that word picture. While shadows don't capture the total sense of the evil that led Jesus to the cross (for me), I can picture the ray of light that comes through a heavy cloud. And I can sense the ominous feel of storm clouds threatening and growing denser and trying to block every ray of light. And then, all of a sudden light breaks through. The whole day looks different. The dark clouds are still there, but no longer menacing...no longer a threat.

3 Comments:

  • It's frustrating to me, Andrea, when I encounter Christians who are still glaringly upsidedown in their thinking. Then, I have to stop and search myself and, lo and behold, I see some of those glaringly ugly spots in myself. Time to get busy and go before His throne of grace and mercy!

    I like your picture of the storm clouds with the ray of sun coming through.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:14 PM  

  • Amen to this! People bend and twist the Bible to make it fit their way of life so they can be "part of the club" without having to give anything up. That's not the deal and I think we all know it...but as long as even one of us let's them get away with it, they sit back imagining how all the others must be wrong.

    The thing we need to remember most here is that knowledge can enlighten them and prayer can change them and we should never give up being part of the ladder that moves them closer to God - even if they spend their whole lives in the exact same place. Their defiance will be their cross to carry before the Lord one day. But I also believe He will be looking at us to see if we made every attempt to point them to the truth. Notice, too, that I said pointing and not shoving. I think that is key in getting someone to come closer to Christ.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 9:13 AM  

  • Great comments! I agree wholeheartedly with both of you.

    I used to like to argue about 'the truth'. I realized that I was kind of like a battering ram. And then it was easier to say nothing at all. I long to be gracious in speaking truth!

    By Blogger Andrea, at 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home