Christian Chapter Chat

9.29.2006

Shadows

"...We're going to die someday soon, but none of us live like it." [pg.114]

Isn't that the truth? It seems like it's that way for everyone, Christian and non-Christian alike. However, the more I grow in my relationship with Christ the deeper my fellowship becomes and the more I long to go Home. I can honestly say that I live more ready to die now than I used to. I keep my accounts short. If I've wronged someone I right it as soon as is possible. When Pilot calls, or friends or family, I make sure to let them know how much I love them. You see, when I find out that I only have a day to live, or even a few minutes, I don't want to worry that I've left unfinished business.

On page 115 the author states: "We pack our lives with distractions in a desperate attempt to fill a hole in our lives we tell ourselves isn't there with things we know aren't important. We keep watching the commercials and we keep buying stuff." This reminded me of the "30 Days of Nothing" that Jules, and others, are just finishing. I think setting aside some time to really evaluate how one uses money and "things" in their life is excellent. Volunteering to help needy people is an excellent way to put into perspective exactly how much "treasure" we can live without.

Then, on the same page, the last paragraph begins with, "All that matters in the end is the state of the soul." I wholeheartedly agree. For years and years when I've been sharing the gospel with anyone I always manage to say, "You know, the most important decision a person ever makes in their life is where they are going to spend eternity. It is more important than what kind of work you will do, or who you will marry, or what you will name your children. Eternity is decided here. Before you die." Sometimes that is the jolt which is needed to cause people to think more seriously about spiritual things.

James opened up the chapter with John 3:19-20, "The light from heaven came into the world, but they loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. They hate the light because they want to sin in the darkness. They stay away from the light for fear their sins will be exposed and they will be punished." Why don't sinners come into the "light of life?" Because they love the darkness! They want to persist in their evil deeds, and this keeps them from coming to the light; for the closer the sinner gets to the light, the more his sins are exposed. I truly don't believe it is "intellectual problems" that keep people from trusting Christ; it is the moral and spiritual blindness that keeps them loving the darkness and hating the light.

3 Comments:

  • Excellent post, Claire. I couldn't agree with you more. (are you really surprised by that?)

    I would only add this: Why do we/they love the darkness? Because in our natural sinful state, it is what we do. We're unable to love the Light unless and until God changes our hearts.

    Would you agree?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:48 AM  

  • Most definitely I would agree with you, Gayla. Unless God does His work in us, through His Holy Spirit, we continue to bury ourselves in the darkness.

    At least, as believers, we can recognize the darkness when it begins to right itself around us because of His Holy Spirit. Then there is no reason we should not be able to flee from the darkness and settle back in the brilliant Light.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:21 PM  

  • Great post, Claire. Thanks for the verbage on how to talk to someone about salvation...that stuff really helps me when I hear it said by a "normal" person so I can say it to someone else without sounding like a tract someone left on their front door.

    Also, this reminded me of something one of our pastors talked about several months ago. He said, "Stop and ask yourself, 'Where do I sin most? Is it out in the company of friends and fellow Christians or is it at home, alone, in the cover of darkness?'" He was trying to point out how important it is that we be involved in church-related things like small groups, etc. so we have time where we are "standing in the light" so to speak. That still stays with me...

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home