Christian Chapter Chat

9.27.2006

Vagabonds

The opening of this chapter was a good one for me to evaluate where I am in my walk with Christ. Am I just admiring? Or, am I truly following. Periodically, I believe we should do some self checks in this area. It is too easy to become complacent in our spiritual walk.

The author mentions that "unless the Father draws people, they'll never believe in Him." I love Jesus' explanation of the process of personal salvation. John 6:37-40 are some of the most profound words. I suppose, we can't hope to plumb their depths completely. Jesus explained that salvation involves both divine sovereignty and human responsibility. He assured them that nobody who came to Him would ever be lost but would be raised at the last day. Even death cannot rob us of our salvation! Can I hear a Hallelujah?!

From our human and limited perspective, we cannot see how divine sovereignty and human responsibility can work together. But from God's perspective, there is no conflict and that is enough for me! I read one time where a church member asked Charles Spurgeon how he reconciled these two (sovereignty and responsibility), and he replied, "I never try to reconcile friends." It is the Father's will that sinners be saved (1 Timothy 2:4; 2 Peter 3:9) and that those who trust Christ be secure in their salvation. Believers receive eternal life and Jesus can never lose them.

Jesus further explained how the sinner can come to God: it is through the truth of the Word (John 6:44-45). The Father draws the sinner by His Word. Jesus quoted Isaiah 54:13 (or perhaps Jer. 31:33-34) to prove His point: "And they shall all be taught of God." It is through the teaching of the Word that God draws people to the Savior. The sinner hears, learns, and comes as the Father draws him. A mystery? YES!!!! A blessed reality? YES!!!!

The crowds (which includes us today) always wants to see something, but our real need is to learn something. It is by the Word that we "see" God and receive the faith to come to Christ and trust Him (Romans 10:17...you just have to love Romans, don't you?).

As I read through this chapter and his thoughts on evangelism I kept reflecting back on the story of the manna in the wilderness. I don't know if it is pertinent but I'll share what I got out of my "rambling stroll with God."

You see, when Christ called Himself "the Living Bread." He wasn't claiming to be exactly like the manna. He was claiming to be even greater! Think about this. The manna only sustained life for the Jews, but Jesus gives life. The Jews ate the daily manna and eventually died; but when you receive Jesus Christ within, you live forever. When God gave the manna, He gave only a gift; but when Jesus came, He gave Himself. There was no cost to God in sending the manna each day, but He gave His Son at great cost. The Jews had to eat the manna every day, but the sinner who trusts Christ once is given eternal life.

The manna was a mysterious thing to the Jews. Jesus was a mystery to those who saw Him. The manna came at night from heaven, and Jesus came to this earth when sinners were in moral and spiritual darkness. The manna was small (can you see His humility?), round (His eternality), and white (His purity). It was sweet to the taste (Psalm 34:8) and it met the needs of the people adequately.

The manna was given to rebellious people; it was the gracious gift of God. All they had to do was stoop and pick it up, folks! If they failed to pick it up, they walked on it. Hello!

It is true. There is no fine print in Jesus' call to discipleship. He is up front what it will cost but it is worth every minute of this "vagabond" life until we reach home!

3 Comments:

  • Let me be the first to give you an "Hallelujah!" Let's throw in an amen, too, while we're at it!

    I love the comparison of the bread to Jesus - I've never heard the small/round/white part before and that is so cool!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 8:31 AM  

  • I love the bread analogy as well.

    By Blogger kpjara, at 9:41 AM  

  • Thanks, gals! :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home