Christian Chapter Chat

9.25.2006

Signs

I read Claire and Jules' posts before I started this one, which I don't ususally do. Normally, I like to post my own thoughts before reading anyone else's, just so I won't be influenced, but today I didn't. So I'll just say I agree with Claire. :-)

I must confess, I'm having a difficult time with the book. There's quite a lot I find wrong/unsettling/disconcerting in the author's thinking. And I hate to come in here and be so negative. Plus, I think some of it is me. I really, truly don't care for fiction so much. If you were to take a looksy at my bookshelf, you'd find nothing but non-fiction and biographies.

In conjunction with this chapter, I'll simply quote St Augustine:


"Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand."

8 Comments:

  • Spurgeon biographies?

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 10:16 AM  

  • LOL, Mark! I have not yet tackled any biographies on Spurgeon!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 AM  

  • This book is definitely not a 'theological' work but I think the author wants to be a little disconcerting as it seems he's trying to bring theological truth into the realm of our practical day-to-day reality and understanding.

    By Blogger Andrea, at 11:12 AM  

  • :(

    By Blogger mark pierson, at 6:22 AM  

  • What book would this be that you are referring too, for us first time readers?

    By Blogger Lori, at 5:07 PM  

  • Lori, it's called Story - recapture the mystery by Steven James.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:28 PM  

  • I think we learn the most when we are pushed out of our comfort zone...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 2:28 PM  

  • I know I do, Addie! I may not relish it at the time but the end benefit was worth it.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home