Christian Chapter Chat

9.29.2006

Shadows

James nailed it pretty well in this chapter. It's funny how much of what he writes about has corrulated with my study in Ecclesiastes. On page 114, he talks about how we pursue power and money, popularity, fame and a good reputation, even though all of these things are like a vapor and can be lost so easily in an instant. That is truth, and Solomon did ALL that - he tested work (labor), pleasure, wisdom, madness and folly. And he did it all to an extent we cannot even begin to match. He lets us know that all of it is futile, it's all in vain. Oh that we would only learn the lessons Solomon has for us, we might be spared a lot of heartache!

Eccl 1:14-15 - I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted.

Concerning light and dark, James says on page 116, that we don't have to look too far to find the darkness. I would submit that we don't have to look for it at all. Within a natural bent toward sin, it is intrinsic in us. Thankfully, as Believers we don't have to be slaves to sin and darkness. The Light lives in us, and He enables us to overcome.

Thank you, Lord God, for the message of hope You grant Your children through Your abounding grace.

2 Comments:

  • Amen, Gayla! I would have to agree with you that we don't have to look at all. Sometimes I'm just going along...everything is fine and dandy, and then, BAM, a thought pops up in my mind...and I am so amazed! Where did that come from?! How thankful I am for the Light!!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:18 PM  

  • I can't wait to get to Ecclesiastes!!!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home