Christian Chapter Chat

8.25.2006

Creation

Where did darkness come from? How could darkness exist anywhere beside God? Is darkness inherently evil? Or can darkness just be darkness....neither good nor evil? Can there be 'edges of forever'? What was it like in the forever before we were created? Where was the Prince of this World before this world was created? Did his rebellion against God create the very first darkness...a blight in the expanse of forever? Was that darkness the beginning of the story of redemption?

I didn't read but a few words before the questions started forming in my mind. I struggle with the idea that God "needed companionship" as a reason for our creation. He already had it. I cannot see that God needs anything in the way we humans need. Our needs mean we are not complete in ourselves and we need something beyond ourselves just to exist. But whether God had a need for us or not...the point is well taken that He loved thinking about us long before we came to be. I loved the idea that He daydreamed about us. That suggests He loved us like an author falls in love with the characters in a book he has yet to write or an artist falls in love with the painting that starts forming as she puts life and color to her imagination. It suggests that He took great delight in us long before we were even consious of Him at all.

And it was good. I loved what Rob Bell said about that phrase in his book "Velvet Elvis". God didn't create the world and say it was perfect. Perfection implies completion. Good allows room for development...for growth...for excitement because He's not finished with us yet. In short, it allows for more. What a great start to the most incredible love story!

8 Comments:

  • Yeah, I can see that great minds think alike, eh Andrea? ;-)

    I, too, remember being struck by that word "perfection" because of the book, "Velvet Elvis." You always think that everything God would create would be perfect, yet there he is saying "It was good."

    Pretty cool!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 9:33 AM  

  • "It suggests that He took great delight in us long before we were even consious of Him at all." Isn't this a wonderful thought, Andrea? I love it that He thought of me, that He planned what would make me...me! :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 9:54 AM  

  • I love how Rob Bell put it as well. God does leave room for more...there's always more.

    I also thought of how as an artist I am complete, so my creations don't COMPLETE me, yet they are in my mind as I think of them and begin the process of creating something. Do they bring me completeness? no, rather they bring me fulfillment. I think of God in that way.

    He was always complete, but he felt more fulfilled with each part of creation.

    By Blogger kpjara, at 9:55 AM  

  • Kim, I just love that thought on the 'artistry' of God.

    By Blogger Andrea, at 10:24 AM  

  • I was just thinking that that is what makes God so exciting. He's complete but there is a sense in which we can bring something to Him when we have a relationship with Him...a fulfillment of a daydream.

    By Blogger Andrea, at 10:25 AM  

  • Oh Andrea, don't even get me started on THAT thought again! I could talk about that for hours...

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:15 AM  

  • Andrea - great post... I loved reading it...

    the whole God/human relationship, is like a marriage relationship (bride/bridegroom).... God is the only one who can complete us, our mate is meant to compliment us - we run into marriage problems when we try to put our partner in "God's" position.... in that same way, we were never meant to complete God, only to compliment Him.... :)

    By Blogger dangermama, at 3:59 PM  

  • Excellent points, Addie!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home