Christian Chapter Chat

8.17.2006

KPJara (Kim): A Not-So-Short-Bio

Introduction Part I

I say ‘Part I’ because I tend to ramble and I’m certain this introduction will evolve. I am Kim. I am 42 years old. I currently live in Oklahoma City with the most perfect husband for me, that God could have ever created. He is the absolute joy of my life. Which is interesting (see here I go)…it’s interesting because I never thought I would trust anyone enough to get married and he is also 7 years younger than me. God clearly had other plans. I always thought happily married couples were a fairy tale or a mystery because either I had never seen it or I didn’t trust it when I did.

In any event, I returned to Oklahoma from ABQ in 2001 so my husband could finish school at OU and I could be closer to my sister, who was terminally ill at the time. She is since healed completely and yes I did blog-it here. My husband is preparing to graduate from OU this December (PRAISE GOD).

We do not have children (unless you count our dogs), though not for lack of trying (yes people ask that all the time). I’m almost past the painful and “Poe-esque” ticking of the proverbial maternal clock. We have prayed and both decided to possibly adopt an older child or perhaps siblings that are in foster care or one of too many ‘orphanages’.

I have been a Christian since I was 13 though mostly out of fear of fire and damnation. It was totally ‘fire insurance’. I recommitted my life in college and while it was still a bit ‘hit or miss’ in terms of understanding what that commitment was/is, it has been a life changer in every sense.
I have been to many different types of denominational and nondenominational and interdenominational churches in my search for God. I have loved learning about and discerning different teachings. I am amazed at the lack of discipling in modern and postmodern American Christian Churches. It bothers me greatly that Christians spend more time finding our differences than focusing on the common bond of Jesus.

We currently attend a second ‘start-up’ church (we were called away from the 1st one). When we left the first one I was certain God would let us “rest” for awhile. The fact that we ended up at another one is SO “God-like” because we saw so much of the behind the scenes happenings at the start-up churches that it was becoming more of a business venture, even a JOB, than a place of worship and community with Christ.

We were able to take that wisdom and knowledge and are loving this community we are now a part of. We have a pastor whom I can dialogue with comfortably and he is both well-read and believes in the God OUT of the box theology.

I am very excited about this book and this group. I have ‘lurked’ it occasionally in the past and I honestly thought you all had known each other for a long, long time. I am also amazed at the level of digging and pushing and growth and that is what I consider a successful study. I’ll try to keep my enthusiasm to a dull roar so as not to wake anyone til we actually start!

edited to add: I see everyone has a color (or so it seems). Is purple taken?

9 Comments:

  • Kim, I love the part about "fire insurance!" I think we've all been THERE before! I'm so glad you made the leap to being in a place where God really matters.

    I think I first "saw" you over at CJ's blog in the comment box and thought "okay, I have to go check this woman out." I'm so glad I did. We're going to love having you in this group and I can't wait to hear you roar!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 8:40 AM  

  • yeah, definitely looking forward to that "roar" of yours.... welcome to the group

    your comment about how you thought we all had known each for a long time was intriguing, and then I thought - well, we all have the same Father and maybe His characteristics shown through us, so it made us look similar and well-known to each other... does that even make sense

    By Blogger dangermama, at 12:03 PM  

  • Roaring? Me? oh wait...of course there will be roaring, of the gentlest nature.

    And, Yes Addie, that totally makes sense.

    By Blogger kpjara, at 12:15 PM  

  • Welcome, Kim! I, too, am excited to hear you roar! ;) Like Jules, I had seen you comment over at CJ's as I "lurked" over there.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 2:48 PM  

  • Oh, and BTW, what is ABQ?

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 2:49 PM  

  • Kim, I usually did purple because Addie had my favorite color, green. But if you want purple, you may have it and I will take pink! :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 2:54 PM  

  • Pilot Mom: ABQ is Albuquerque and you keep purpose...I'll pick another once all the regulars are back and going...truly!

    Thanks though!

    By Blogger kpjara, at 2:58 PM  

  • uhm...that's purple...apparently a Freudian slip!

    By Blogger kpjara, at 2:58 PM  

  • Hi Kim! Looking forward to walking this way with you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home