Christian Chapter Chat

6.16.2006

A Final Intimate Moment with Peter

As you all know, I love Peter, I identify with Peter, so I was thrilled that this was my last lesson. I also love the way Gire writes about this story as well. I love that maybe this was a miracle done just for Peter. To me, it really shows the love that Jesus had for Peter. It really is love when someone close to us lets us down, and instead of holding that over their head, you give them a special present.

Im still under the impression that Christ had a new, resurrected body that still was human in form, but was not the same as the one before His death. As noone, not even the people closest to Him recognize Him until He speaks.

A side note on the fish that were caught. John gives the number as 153 fish. Now, if you think about it, that really isn’t a lot of fish, until you know what that means…. Back in that time, there were only thought to be 153 different kids of fish. So for John to use that number – meaning that they caught so many fish that they thought it was one of every kind in the world…. Think about how big that catch must have really been…. And this time, it didn’t break the nets – another miracle often overlooked.

I love that Peter gets 3 chances – one for each denial, but it is often overlooked that Jesus asks three different responses – not the same response three times as people usually think.
These responses are important because Jesus was about to use Peter to build His church.
Feed My lambs – help the new Christians out, teach them the Truth
Take care of My sheep – keep them safe and together and guard against the Enemy to come
Feed My sheep – Continue teaching the followers that already are out there

This to me is a very tender story of love, forgiveness and loyalty. I don’t think Peter would have been the rock that Jesus needed if he had not had such a hard break-down with the denial. I think that cast off any last bit of selfishness and misdirection that he had. Peter was still Peter – strong and passionate, but now we see that those characteristics are finally harnessed in the right direction. And he does great things. I think all of us are like that – we want to do good, but we usually miss the mark just slightly… but once we get the kinks out and find the exact point we are supposed to be – we make a straight line to Christ, and that is powerful stuff.

3 Comments:

  • Excellent, Addie! I agree with you 100%.

    I've also observed that it is often the fact that the ones who have screwed up the most are the ones who go on to become the best witnesses. Something about losing everything... hitting rock bottom, makes you fearless in the face of new adversities.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 9:52 AM  

  • You tell it, sister!

    I'm with you...I love how Christ and Peter loved each other. I think it is a miracle that two people that are not related can find that "nitche" that makes their relationship more special and more intimate than a normal friendship.

    And Addie, way to go. I've been wondering about "153" fish for the longest time and NOW I KNOW! What a great way to end the series.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:35 AM  

  • Addie, beautifully stated.

    "...we want to do good, but we usually miss the mark just slightly… but once we get the kinks out and find the exact point we are supposed to be – we make a straight line to Christ, and that is powerful stuff."

    It IS powerful stuff, and I, for one, am so glad it is!!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home