Christian Chapter Chat

6.15.2006

An Intense Moment on the Emmaus Road

The Road to Emmaus. As I started to read this chapter I thought to myself, "What the heck am I going to have to say about this? I don't know the story all that well. I can't seem to find too much hidden symbolism in this one. I wonder why I got THIS chapter to read out of all the ones we divvied up?"

And then I got to the prayer...

Thank you that whatever road I take to get away from the pain in my past, that is the road where you meet me.

(I think you all know me well enough to see how and why THAT hit home.)

Thank you for your Word that sheds so much light on whatever road I take. Without it, how would I have ever found my way? Or my way back?

(Yep. That certainly sinks right in with me...)

Help me to be sensitive to the way you speak to me through that Word. And to be sensitive to the many other ways you speak, which are often unfamiliar ways, spoken in unfamiliar voices from unfamiliar faces.

(This happens to me ALL the time - Him showing up on the face or in the words of someone just passing through my life for a single moment...)

Thank you for the good that has come from the suffering I have known so far in this life. It has helped me learn to feel, and for that I am thankful.

(Hit that nail on the head...)

The pain I have experienced has made me more sensitive to the pain of others. And the sorrow I have known has made me more sympathetic to the sorrow of others.

(Everybody say amen!)

**********
Emmaus truly was "The Road of Life" don't you think?

7 Comments:

  • Wow... That must be some prayer! (I'm in the city at my volunteer job so I'm not at home to read the chapter) Oh... and BTW, thank you for that glowing spotlight article. I showed my sisters.

    I heard a wonderful lecture on Emmaus a few years ago. He said that an actual town of Emmaus doesn't exist and that it's a good possibility that it never existed. The translation (according to the Biblical expert whose name I now forget) literally means "no where to go". These disciples were wandering around in a muddle with no where to go when Jesus met them. Boy, that sure strikes a chord, doesn't it?

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 11:29 AM  

  • Jules, isnt God cool - He knows exactly which lesson we need... although Im still a little surprised that He didnt give Mary Magdalene to you... he he

    CJ - what a cool thought, thanks for adding that, it brings a whole nother way to look at the story...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 12:12 PM  

  • I will post later this afternoon. Flying out the door again (hobbling is more correct) but won't have time until then....

    Great Post, Jules. I want to re-read it when I get home. :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:13 PM  

  • I re-read the Scripture and wanted a add a few things...

    CJ, it says that Emmaus was 7 miles from Jerusalem, so if it gives that much specifics about it, then maybe it was a real place... I dont know... still like the translation of the name though and it still fits very well

    another thing was that Jesus went through the whole OT (if not more, if there are books we dont know about) with these 2 guys and layed it all out there for them how He fulfilled all the prophecies... how cool is that? for once, He didnt speak in parables - He just layed it all out there... man what an honor... so far as I know these are the only 2 who got that honor...

    it names one of the men on the road as Cleopas, and at the cross, one of the woman was listed as the wife of Cleopas, and since he had personal accounts from the women who went to the grave, makes me think these 2 were married, and by all that, makes me think that they were very close to Jesus - especially since these 2 men seemed to understand what Christ had said about rising from the dead, when even the disciples didnt get it.... and yet, they didnt recognize Him (and neither did Mary Magdalene in the garden) - makes me wonder if He now had a totally new body and I wonder how it differed from his original one...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:03 PM  

  • Yes, the guy giving the lecture (sorry I've lost his name) said that the second person on the road was likely a woman (and possibly Cleopas' wife) because the Bible didn't name that person. Only occasionally were women actually named in Scripture, since they were just not considered important to the overall story.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 1:22 PM  

  • I've always heard that it was (probably) Cleopas' wife, too. I think that's why I kind of tripped over the chapter when I read it...it didn't seem to line up with what my Pastor talked about on Easter Sunday. But the prayer...well that was DEFINITELY meant for me.

    As for you being the "Blogger of the Month" at MWG, CJ - I really had no choice. You've been on fire lately - stirring me up along with so many others. When I sat down to choose someone for June, YOU were the obvious choice. You are one happening nun, lady. :-)

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 4:43 PM  

  • When I looked up Emmaus in the Greek with it's referral back to the Hebrew it says a "warm spring". So maybe there were hot springs there...

    CJ, I agree with Jules. You absolutely deserved to have your blog highlighted.

    I'm really going to miss doing this blog with you ladies during the summer. I won't necessarily miss the book part...just meeting together during the week and "conversating" as Pilot likes to say. It's hard to believe we are almost done!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home