Christian Chapter Chat

6.12.2006

An Insightful Moment in Religious Hands

I dont know how everyone else feels with the schedule of the lessons, but I feel like mine were definetely God-directed....

This one was a very short meditation, but a very powerful message. This has been one of my biggest struggles, and I dont deny it. I often am guilty of judging another person's walk when I really need to be working on my own.

I think this is a major problem in today's churches - especially the ones here in the Bible belt where I live. Every denomination thinks that theirs is the correct way and only way to do things. They (we) backbite and struggle with each other - this is exactly what the Enemy wants! Divide and conquer. If we would just step back a minute and quit looking at each other and take a closer look at ourselves, we could really see some things we dont like. And if we worked on ourselves, how much easier would it be to love everyone else?

A friend of mine once asked for some advice. He had been witnessing to another friend, and the other friend asked him something he didnt know the answer to, so he asked me what I thought. The question was - how come in Christianity there are so many denominations and they are always fighting? No other religions seem to really have this problem, why is that? I told my friend that the devil is not concerned with his own children and will leave them alone, but..... he will stir up as much trouble in God's children as he can - that way they are too busy with themselves to bother with doing God's will

It is also important to note that this trial by the Pharisees and high priests was not a lawful trial as it was done at night. But they felt they were doing the right thing, so it didnt matter - even though they were convicting Jesus using the law. It makes me look back at our world and how many awful, awful things were done in the name of "God." Have we learned nothing? Im hoping that I have.

5 Comments:

  • Addie, I so relate just as you do. I guess if people are truly honest with themselves there would be times when we need to confess to judging others. Pride is a terrible thing, isn't it?

    Isn't it interesting that they are described as "religious" leaders? Christianity is not a "religion." It's a relationship. A relationship where we worship the only One who has left His grave. Buddha and Mohammed and all the others still reside in their graves.

    Living here where I do I am often asked what religion I am. I am quick to point out that I am in a living relationship...isn't that what it is all about it?

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 3:18 PM  

  • exactly Claire....

    except around here, people will ask you what denomination you are since everyone here goes to church and is obviously a Christian (to admit to anything else would probably get you stoned - only slightly kidding on that)

    By Blogger dangermama, at 3:38 PM  

  • I thought this was one of the most powerful chapters in Gire's whole book. The fact that the meditation part was only ONE sentence just blew me away! I absolutely LOVED it! What a powerful point he made!

    Claire, you remind me of my pastor. He got all heated up awhile ago because "we do not come to church...we ARE the church." I love the way you say it is not a religion but a relationship. Talk about an eye opening statement! Wow!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 4:11 PM  

  • Exactly, Jules! WE ARE the church! :) I really like your pastor! ;)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 4:34 PM  

  • I really like my pastor, too! He's a great man of God, that's for sure!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home