Christian Chapter Chat

6.02.2006

An Incredible Moment in an Olive Grove

I disagree with Gire on one point – that the crowd fell back because of Jesus’ power. To me, this doesn’t really make sense with the rest of Jesus’ ministry. I look at this part of the story as almost comedic. I think they stepped back out of sheer unbelief. Unbelief that someone would voluntarily give themselves to an angry mob. It makes me think that this group of people that the religious leaders was given a different picture of the man they were supposed to be picking up.

To me, it is more believable that the religious leaders told the crowd that Jesus was an unruly man. He would insist on Himself being the Messiah, and that they would have trouble containing Him. Otherwise, why would they need so many people to go get Him?

Even Jesus asked them why they came with swords and clubs. They could have picked Him up in the temple any time they wanted…. Ahhhh – but the temple would have meant that they had to do it in broad daylight for all to see. Not likely to happen that way.

Then we go to Peter. I like how Gire brings out that a fisherman is not the man to normally carry a sword. I go back to the last entry where I said that the disciples knew something bad was about to happen to Jesus. Why else would Peter be carrying a sword around in a garden. And we all know about Peter’s denial, but often we forget about his passion for the Savior here – in front of all of these people – an angry mob, if you will. Where are all the other disciples? Besides John, they’ve all snuck away. Not Peter – as always, he acts before he thinks and just swings away. Not sure why though, since Jesus has never implored violence in His ministry.

And He doesn’t now either. I like how Gire explains that it wasn’t the whole ear – just a part… although I would tend to think it would be the top part of the ear instead of the lobe – how could you cut someone’s ear lobe off and not hurt any other part of them? Either way, Jesus does as He always does and loves.

I like how Gire brings out that this is His last miracle before being raised. How small it is, and yet how big the statement it makes.

7 Comments:

  • Yeah, Addie, you made it up!

    I couldn't help but laugh. I, too, got the whole "how did it cut his LOBE off???" thing going and found myself practically being a detective trying to solve such an illogical maneuver. If he would have swung hard enough to cut the lobe off surely the sword would have kept right on going and cut right through his neck!

    A small point but still...

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 2:25 PM  

  • I think Gire gets carried away with the sound of his own whistle.

    I wondered about the lobe thing too... oh wait, I know! the sword got caught in the servant's earring (you know, one of those big hoop things) and ripped out his lobe. Peter missed him completely since he was a fisherman and had no sword training.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 2:33 PM  

  • ohh - yes, CJ good point - being a servant did usually require the wearing of earrings - Ive never even thought about that...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 2:49 PM  

  • That was a joke.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 4:56 PM  

  • And you got Addie with it - hook, line and sinker! Get it...another fishing joke...

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 6:26 PM  

  • Awwwwww

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 6:45 PM  

  • You guys are cracking me up! :D All I could think of was Capt. Jack from the Pirates of the Carribean with that image...nothing Roman about it!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home