Christian Chapter Chat

5.31.2006

Intense Moment at Gethsemane

The scripture is densely packed. I've heard a hundred sermons on this passage, most of them adding insight to the simple words, the bare description of what Jesus faced in the dark that night. The meditation is a great one, and right up to the last paragraph I was with Gire every sentence, every word. I find I cannot post on this because I simply cannot (do not) believe that the cup of Jesus sacrifice was a symbol of the wrath of God, the "ferment of sin".

You might as well not even bother quoting me chapter and verse over why you believe this particular piece of the puzzle is true... because I can't buy it. Period. If it's true, then the God I worship, the one I love and believe in, does not exist, and I've been wasting my time all these many years.

That said, I do believe that Gethsemane is a place to go when there's no one and no thing that can help me but God. And I fully realize that my requests may not be answered in the way I would wish, and that God's answer may in fact be one of suffering and sacrifice. I get that part. I've had a few dark nights of my own already, and I recognize that prayer in itself often brings a renewed courage, a different perspective for why things must be the way they are. But because God is full of wrath? No... because God sees the larger picture. he knows His purposes and His plan. And I do not believe wrath has anything to do with it.

3 Comments:

  • CJ, it's amazing to me that this is the sentence you picked out that left such a bad taste in your mouth because I don't even recall READING that. Isn't it amazing how we can all read the same things and come up with a different reaction to a different piece of each writing?

    I'm going to have to go home and re-read that part in order to make any kind of decent comment but I find myself in a similar situation (I think.) I know God judges us and that he can be pleased or unpleased and I even buy that if we all make a big enough mess of things he can get downright ticked off. But did He send His only son to die because he was mad? Yeah, I'm not buying it either. I always thought He sent Him (and sacrificed Him) because of LOVE, not wrath.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 7:42 AM  

  • I think it was wrath over the sin, not exactly the sinners - I think that is where the love part comes in....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 9:48 AM  

  • Yes, Addie. He hates sin, and He is a just God and He will judge sin...it will get His wrath. But, because of His love, He provided an escape from His wrath for whomever would cling to Him. Sad, but not all will choose to escape His wrath in the end.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home