Christian Chapter Chat

5.29.2006

Insightful Moment in the Upper Room

This has got to be the worst of Gire's meditations I've read yet. Someone needs to explain "the hospitality of high ceilings", because (for me) that image is totally bogus. So is the image of "nothing to be afraid of and everything to look forward to."

Humans are self-reflective, meaning that we look for meaning in our lives (even non-believers look for meaning.) Something larger, grander than ourselves... some master plan, a more powerful being, a cause to support... something to make us want to get up in the morning and do what's required. For many of us, that something is God. Or the way Jesus taught us to live... whatever fuels our drive to continue doing the work we do.

So tangible images of Christmas stockings with things in them seems to go against the grain of everything Jesus taught. If we love the Lord we're going to get a lot of "stuff"? I don't think so. The whole chapter makes me want to throw up.

3 Comments:

  • Uh oh, CJ, did we miss a memo stating this was a holiday with 'no posting'? LOL! I guess Addie won't be here because she won't be at work and Jules must be off having a ton of fun! :)

    Enjoy your day!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 3:24 PM  

  • BTW, thanks for praying! Jim passed the stone Saturday morning! Yea!!!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 3:25 PM  

  • Actually, I was meeting my mentee for breakfast and we stayed and talked for 3-1/2 hours! I didn't even get home until 12:30 in the afternoon!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home