Christian Chapter Chat

5.31.2006

An Intense Moment in Gethsemane

let me just say, it is not a good idea to read 2 lessons at one time... the first brought me up to the mountain, and the second dragged me quickly back down to the valley. So it is a bit harder to put my emotions down into words.

It is hard for me to put this picture into my head. Jesus, my hope, being so anxious. Preparing Himself to face a burden so heavy. Knowing that He had a choice in the matter - if He failed, all of creation would be lost forever. And its not like He had things going His way. His friends were slowly deserting Him. The devil was doing whatever it took. And His Father was mostly silent (or so it seems to me). All right before, the greatest suffering He would ever know.

As I read this lesson, memories came back. I remember in school, things would happen and I would just think it was the end of the world. How trivial they all seem now. I wonder one day, when I look back on the troubles of today, will they seem just as trivial? Is it possible to look at my suffering and put it in perspective?


This night in Gethsemane is a good example for me how to handle the trials that will most definetely come my way (although nothing like the Christ's). I always have opportunity to go to God first, but I must be ready to accept what He gives. I can take my friends with me, but it is not them that I must get my advice from. And I must realize that He isnt going to give me more than He thinks I can handle. And.... sometimes, it isnt always about me - sometimes, my suffering is for the greater good of someone else.

as a sidenote, I find it interesting that in Luke's version, it says that the 3 disciples were sleeping for sorrow. They werent sleeping merely because they were tired and it was dark, but rather that they had cried themselves to sleep. Im thinking that they finally started to understand Jesus saying that He is about to die - maybe they can hear Him crying out to the Father. Somehow though, they still seem to have missed the resurrection part that Jesus kept talking about.

5 Comments:

  • You poor thing! I feel so bad that you had to do these two lessons in one day. Up, down, Up, down...

    What struck me about your take on this was "I always have opportunity to go to God first, but I must be ready to accept what He gives. I can take my friends with me, but it is not them that I must get my advice from."

    How many times do we go to our friends for advice instead of God? I never realized that before! Just another way we take what we learned from the world and totally miss how we should really be with God, instead.

    Very cool point, Addie. Here I've been all excited about going to see my best friend in Michigan in a few weeks because we always have the best talks and great fun but also because she's always been who I would turn to for advice. It just dawned on me that I haven't been doing that lately - I HAVE been going to God instead.

    That's SO COOL!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:26 AM  

  • I agree Jules - very cool....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:51 AM  

  • Maybe they weren't so sure about the resurrection part because it was Jesus himself who had done the resurrecting of others. If He were dead... who was going to do it?

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 11:15 AM  

  • CJ: Good point!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 12:33 PM  

  • yeah, that is an interesting point...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home