Christian Chapter Chat

5.31.2006

An Insightful Moment in the Upper Room

I must confess that I did something that I never do with this lesson – I read all of your entries first, so needless to say, I was not looking forward to this lesson. I was so sure I was going to be disappointed.

And then I read it.

This was one of my favorite ones. It really resonated with me and how I grew up. And I realize that maybe it didn’t strike a chord with some of you because it doesn’t reflect your backgrounds. It wasn’t easily identifiable to you, personally. (Let me just take a moment and say, Jules and CJ, your testimonies have been such an enjoyment to me, and have really helped me understand more of who you really are).

I grew up in a (more or less) traditional southern family. Which means fairly big and close-knit. It also meant a lot of get-togethers, a lot of food and always a lot of fun. “Family first” is the southern motto. Family and Home are pretty much synonymous.

As time has passed, founding members and loved ones have passed on. The kids now are grown and having kids of their own. Its not hard to see that the family quilt is starting to unravel – those ends each forming their own family quilt…. It’s the circle of life…. It happens.

So when Gire brings up the metaphors for “home.” I know exactly what he is talking about. It evokes certain memories and feelings. Its not the food or the presents or the houses themselves, but the family and the love that is important. The feelings of love, acceptance and comfort that brings. The few places that you can always go back to and instantly be a part of something – doesn’t matter how long you’ve been gone. For someone who isn’t familiar with this scene, its easy to get caught up on the “things” & “stuff” that Gire brings up, but its not the stuff itself that is anticipated – it’s the feelings of home these things inspire. Its not the stockings themselves or the presents inside them – but rather the anticipation of something great about to happen – knowing that it was love that put the stuff there.
This lesson made me long for “home” like no other has yet. It reminds me that this earth, this life, is not my home – no matter how comfortable I make it. It made me long for the embrace of my Father. A feeling I still long for on this earth. It renewed my hope of a “home” that Ive never seen before and yet…. I know I still belong there, and when I get there, I will be welcomed with open arms. I will be drawn in and instantly be a part of something greater than myself. Ahhh – “home”, what a wonderful and mysterious thing

12 Comments:

  • Great post, Addie, and I agree with you about the longing for home. As you've probably gathered, my own "home" place I long for is much different than the one I grew up in (or provided for my own family, in fact). So my longing doesn't relate to get-togethers, presents, and a warm fuzzy feeling. My experience of those tangible things is arguments, drunken brawls, and comparisons between what he got and what I got... somehow equating it to loved/not loved, and always coming up short.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 9:01 AM  

  • I got to your last paragraph where you wrote "It reminds me that this earth, this life, is not my home – no matter how comfortable I make it. It made me long for the embrace of my Father" and I felt my breath hitch. I've never felt this way about family but I've always longed for it. My parents tried so hard to make our family "perfect" that I think we all were crushed under the weight of it and decided it was better to go it alone where we could all be "human." How sad and twisted is that?

    So I, too, look forward to this place - but for a different reason. Not because it will remind me of home but because it will be the first time I've ever been in one where just being me was good enough.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 9:15 AM  

  • I suppose that really is the beauty of these lessons - we all get more out of one part than another - and it helps enrich the group... I still find that concept so cool...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 9:55 AM  

  • Addie, I grew up in a family like yours. Even though we were military, we had a huge box that we moved with us and every so often we would open it up and take things out and reminisce about all the 'family' stuff in there. There were things from my grandparents, things from when my parents were children, etc. When we were in Germany it was a life saver because we didn't see extended family the whole time we lived there.

    And, I think it is interesting, my parents were both born and reared in Mississippi. :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:33 AM  

  • well, there you go, Claire - I told you it was a Southern thing... :)

    Im curious as to what parts of MS

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:52 AM  

  • My mom was born in Booneville, MS up in the NE corner of the state. My dad was from around Senatobia, MS. Then they moved to the Delta area for a few years, then to Pope/Batesville.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:56 AM  

  • cool - I went to jr college in Booneville, so Im fairly familiar with that area

    By Blogger dangermama, at 11:21 AM  

  • Addie, I DID TOO!!!!!! At NE!!! Let's see, I was there in 1972...way before you!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:40 AM  

  • That is too cool! I'm still just blown away...LOL!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:46 AM  

  • now, that is just weird....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 12:27 PM  

  • What years were you there? Did you have Ms Eudora Kemp for English? Or was she already gone from there?

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:34 PM  

  • no - didnt have her, but her name sounds really familiar so maybe she was still there?

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home