Christian Chapter Chat

4.24.2006

Instructive Moment About Our Father

This is one of the first meditations that Gire has written that's actually given me new insight into the story of the Prodigal Son. (And I've read literally hundreds of pages about this parable and heard countless sermons.) I never thought of the older son as an analogy for the Pharisees... waiting just outside the doorstep.What a slap that must have been. Yet it's true. The father could have just as easily said "Fine, don't come in and join the party. Sit out there and sulk." He didn't do that.

This story touches each one of us in different ways at different times: I can see myself as both the prodigal and the goody-two-shoes, depending on what day it is. I've related to the jealousy and indignation of the older child, the total unfairness of the father's response to his younger son's return... and I can especially relate to the selfishness and need for freedom of the younger. I can only occasionally relate to the utter joy and forgiveness of the Father in all of this. Yet there have been times when, as a mother, I have quit resenting certain omissions in my sons' behavior and just loved them for who they were.

3 Comments:

  • I totally agree with your last statement - I think becoming a parent myself has grown me so much as a Christian, b/c I can see through the eyes of a parent now and understand (on a small scale) what God must go through alot

    By Blogger dangermama, at 12:33 PM  

  • Well, I hate to say it, but having Gracie has done the same thing for me that Gabe has done for Addie. I see Gracie loving on me one minute and then defying me the next and I see how I react to that and how I let those times when she's less than "mindful" go because I love her so much.

    When you look at it like that and realize that must be how God looks at us - it just blows me away.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 2:45 PM  

  • It's true that being a parent opens one's eyes to the whole unconditional love aspect. We learn so much more once we leave home and get on our own.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home