Christian Chapter Chat

4.21.2006

An Instructive Moment About Mercy

this is one of those parables that I feel like one of the disciples on, I mostly just dont get it or really how to apply it.... I mean I get the whole thing about healing on the sabbath, and not always trying to be first, but throwing a banquet for the people in need?

I get that you are supposed to help the people who are down, and love the unlovable, and feed the hungry, etc, and also, that that is who is going to make up the kingdom of heaven... but I dont get the part about throwing them a banquet here on earth - does that mean just showing them love? inviting them to be a part of the whole? making them feel like they belong?

how do you apply that to today's day and time? Its not really safe to go around inviting people you dont know into your home... Its not exactly socially sound to bring food to people in the hospital you dont know?

I know Im probably missing the whole point, but I guess though thats part of being a Christian though, is always learning....

6 Comments:

  • I know exactly what you're saying, Addie. Let me go down and read what Claire has to say adn then maybe I'll know what to tell you. hahaha

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 8:47 AM  

  • You are so right that our culture requires us to be careful about who we befriend and how and where... it's not safe to do the things Jesus spoke of in the exact context that he put it. But we can find ways to do something to ease someone's pain all the time.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 10:53 AM  

  • I agree, CJ. It reminds me of the Elizabeth Smart case here in UT. Her mother had asked the homeless man "Emanuel" to come and do some work on the outside of their home which she paid him for. Then he came back later...a long time later...and kidnapped Elizabeth. E is really fortunate that she was found alive....

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:11 AM  

  • Jules, you crack me up! I'm not the resident "know it all", I'll have you know! :D

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:12 AM  

  • Claire, just poking fun at you because I always THINK I get the assignment but then you come up with so much MORE!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:40 AM  

  • Oh Claire, I forgot all about the Elizabeth Smart case!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home