Christian Chapter Chat

4.20.2006

An Instructive Moment About Mercy

It always cracks me up when something shows up in my world at the exact time that I need to see/hear/read it most. Funny how that happens, isn't it?

Today, I posted about how I'm great with comments condemning others but not so great at getting off my fat butt and doing the actual work myself. Oh sure, heart condition and all...blah, blah, blah.

And then I read this tonight - about doing for those that can't do for themselves and I don't know - it makes me feel so sad inside. We all talk about helping. Some of us even go out and do it from time to time but a life that is truly "of service?" I fall so short.

And yes, I know...I'm still at that stage where I have my Christian training wheels on but, cripes you guys, it's been a year. And I've done nothing...

Still, there's hope for me. There's hope because I see the handwriting on the wall. I know that serving fancy food at a fancy dinner for my fancy friends is an honor not many people can afford. However, serving food that came from a 5 lb can or a box of something that had to be reconstituted in order to be used would be a dinner that would cost me so much more. It would cost me a piece of my heart while I watch these less fortunate people eat their meal. It would cost me a piece of my pride while I see that they are really no better than I am. It would cost me a piece of my security that this could never happen to me.

It all costs. It's whether I am going to be a follower of Jesus who throws money at a problem or one who gives of herself, instead. I've found my place in this church. Now I need to find my place in this world.

Mercy. I need it just as much as all the homeless people - maybe even more.

7 Comments:

  • I guess Jules, its more about finding your God-given gifts, talents and abilities and using those to further your own walk and the walk of others...

    we cant all be called to write like you do, or work in a soup kitchen, or talk to people on the phone, or give exceeding amounts of money... God has equipped each one of us for the work that He has for us....

    (Im still learning this myself)

    By Blogger dangermama, at 9:14 AM  

  • It's so easy to forget that we are always called to do more... that God will equip us when he calls us. I lose sight of that part all the time.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 10:49 AM  

  • I do too...lose sight of the fact that He WILL equip us to do what it is He is calling us to do.

    And, Jules, you HAVE done something...go back and read the impact of Steph's comments yesterday. She hit the nail on the head! You have been doing, exactly what the Lord has called you to do at the time you were called. Now that you have been given a "heart okay" to begin to GRADUALLY [ahem!] resume your other activities, then the Lord may indeed call you to do more. PRAY about it! You don't want to be where He doesn't want you!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:19 AM  

  • You're right, Claire. I guess I just get so upset that I do stuff for people IN the church but never seem to get outside those walls - even here in blogdome I still consider this INSIDE church...because we are all already Christians.

    But you're right, I suspect if he really wanted me out there feeding the homeless, he'd find another holy 2x4 to whack me upside the head with!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:49 AM  

  • maybe since you are feeling conviction about it, God is getting you ready for something....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 12:19 PM  

  • Well, Jules, we aren't all Christians in our little blogdom, just remember that. So what you share can have an impact for His kingdom, even if you are unaware.

    And, maybe you have needed a season of 'seasoning' before you left the confines of your home church. Christ didn't send the disciples out right away...

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:44 PM  

  • Okay now the two of you are just making me really nervous. Time to go mow the darn yard!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home