Christian Chapter Chat

4.21.2006

An Instructive Moment about Mercy (Luke 14:1-24)

This passage of Scripture is excellent in showing the difference in being "religious" (which there are many) as opposed to being in a relationship (which there are few). So often the religious are doing things to look good to man and to God. They are earning points, so to speak, to get that invitation into heaven. So sad. They totally miss the point that the good works are a result of a heart full of gratitude to God because He has already saved me, justified me, adopted me into His family. I love Him and wish to show my love for all He has done for me freely by His grace.

An inheritance in the Kingdom of God is not given on the basis of our works or righteousness. An inheritance in the Kingdom of God is the gift of God given to undeserving people simply because it is God's purpose to demonstrate His love and mercy in doing so (Ephesians 2:7).

In the banquet parable this person was assuming that he and the other people present would all be present in the kingdom. [I think we will be so surprised when we arrive!] Jesus took the opportunity to explain that many of the people there would not be present in God's kingdom. There would be not only many outcasts but Gentiles as well.

This parable reinforces His previous teaching that He would abandon Jerusalem (Luke 13:34-35). The people who originally had been offered a share of the kingdom had rejected it, so now the message was going to go out to others including Gentiles. The excuses seemed good, of paramount importance, to the ones who gave them, but in all actuality, they were inadequate for refusing Jesus' kingdom offer. Nothing was so important as accepting His offer of the kingdom, for one's entire destiny rests on his response to that offer.


What a burden to be in a position where one has to strive to gain God's approval, or even worse, once they "have it", they may lose it by not doing all the right things! What a tremendous burden! I know many who are in just that position and my heart goes out to them. I imagine you all know people who are like that, too. These Pharasees who are seeking honor not only from God but from man. I would think they would want to exchange that burden of continually striving after "worthiness" for the worthiness of Jesus Christ.

It's so late now, I have no idea if any of my ramblings even fit in with Gire's chapter. But, it seems like this was being laid upon my heart to share, so share I have. For me, it wasn't so much Gire's take on the chapter this time. In fact, not at all, but I did get a lot out of his prayer.

There are many types of hunger out there. It doesn't always deal with food. There is the hunger for human touch, for acceptance. There is hunger to just be acknowledged as a human being with worth. Hunger comes in the desire to be fed out of God's Word, maybe someone who cannot read would like the joy to be revealed to them. "Help me to see the landscape of your kingdom in the background," Gire says. He finishes with, "Melt my heart so I could be a river of mercy in their lives."

Lord, all I can say is Amen. Here I am, use me.

5 Comments:

  • Yeah, Addie...what Claire said!
    :-)

    I must have totally missed reading the prayer last night because I don't remember ANY of that...huh.

    It does help to remind me that it isn't always about physically FEEDING someone but of just meeting their needs - whatever they are.

    Ramble away, Claire. I always get something good out of it.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 8:52 AM  

  • yeah, this does help somewhat with my post, but Im still having a hard time wrapping my brain around the whole concept

    By Blogger dangermama, at 9:11 AM  

  • You make really good points, Claire. I agree with all you said about the mercy river being more than feeding the hungry food. (The hunger for human touch was evident when I visited my friend in the hospital yesterday.) I still think we are ignoring the truth that we as a nation are creating a lot of the world's pain.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 10:46 AM  

  • Well, all human kind contributes to the world's pain...I don't believe that America has the monopoly on that little issue. I think of the different world leaders out there that hold their countries in hostage. Like North Korea's leader.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:14 AM  

  • Amen to that, Claire. We're just the only country that seems to realize that what happens in one part of the world happens to ALL of us.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home