Christian Chapter Chat

2.06.2006

An Incredible Moment at a Wedding (John 2:1-11)

I really like this story of Jesus. Maybe because it shows Him enjoying life, celebrating a new couple, the start of a new family. Christ knows that His time to begin His mission is near. At least I believe He knew it would be soon. His mission was to save the world...to save us from our sins. Yet He took time to congregate in a celebration. It comes back to balance. Even today, in life, we sometimes tend to overwork ourselves rather than balancing the things of life. Social occasions are important for us. We never know, when we are involved with people, God may open up opportunities to share Him with the people around us.

As for Mary calling upon Jesus to 'do something' about the wine, I think, that with Joseph dead she probably called on Jesus to do a lot of things. I don't believe she expected a miracle but, rather, maybe He could do something to solve this major problem. She probably knew that whatever He would do she could trust Him to do what was right and not bring any more embarrassment on the wedding family. How important it is for us to trust Christ to work in our lives, knowing that He knows what is best for us!

Can you imagine the excitement that was generated by the new wine? My heart aches when I hear people say that God just isn't exciting enough...they see no meaning in turning to Him. It is like they expect Him to be dull and lifeless and, yet, He is anything but that!!!! Talk about filling one's life with purpose, meaning, excitement, joy, and elation He can do all this and more!

One of the most profound statements in this chapter is this: "Without a word from his lips, without a touch from his hand, Jesus simply wills the water to become wine. And in the sacred presence of that thought, the water prostrates itself and obeys." When Jesus wills something in my life, do I prostrate myself and obey? Oh, Father God, I do not do this. Not nearly often enough! Help me Lord to bring my will under Your authority. I pray that I would not hesitate to obey. I would not question that another way could be better. May I trust You implicitly for my life...

I loved the prayer at the end of the chapter. I know so many people, many who don't even recognize what they are feeling is the gnawing emptiness of not knowing the Lord. I've prayed this many, many times and will continue to pray this many more times, I'm sure.

2 Comments:

  • You and I both loved the part about the water prostrating itself!

    I still remember the night I gave myself over to God - how for the first time in my entire life I laid face down on the carpet and begged for Him to come. To this day, I believe it was all in the fact that I prostrated myself because all the other times, I had not truly "lowered" myself before Him.

    I'm with you...Lord remind me to never question, to just bow down and say, "whatever your will..."

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 4:11 PM  

  • all of you have written such wonderful posts, I really dont have anything new to add... good job, you guys

    By Blogger dangermama, at 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home