Christian Chapter Chat

2.06.2006

Incredible Moment at a Wedding

The idea that Mary is actually launching Jesus' ministry at Cana is a new thought for me. In the past I saw her as a concerned compassionate neighbor who wanted to help out, with little thought for the ramifications of a public miracle. But if in fact, as Jules says, she'd seen glimpses of his glory in his growing up times, then of course she would believe he was up to the task at hand. I really like Gire's take on Jesus' hesitation too. (I had a preconceived vision of a young adult man, still living at home, thinking "ohhh Mom! Get off my back!", much like my own sons might behave if I asked them to do something out of the ordinary.) But the Jesus portrayed here is very thoughtful in his hesitation. If he does this, life will never be the same. Maybe he has experienced his miraculous powers before, but in private ways... (there are a number of delightful myths about Jesus as a child performing healings) This is very public. This has been one of the best chapters for me so far.
And yes, the prayer at the end touched me too. I know at least three people I would insert in that prayer... four when I count myself.

1 Comments:

  • "...four when I count myself..."

    I love that about you, CJ.

    You make me strive to be more humble.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home