Christian Chapter Chat

2.04.2006

An Intense Moment in the Desert

I have to say this is probably one of my favorite passages and stories in Scripture because of how much it has transformed me.

During a time of intense spiritual development, a mentor pointed out to me that Jesus' three temptations are at the root of all of our sins. All of our sins, stem from one of the following: the need to be needed, the need to be in control, the need to be the best. And unlike what happened with Adam and Eve, (who bought the half truth Satan fed them), Jesus stands firm in truth. He "knows" fully and deeply the heart of the Father. He is not tempted by believing some half truth, twisted version of God's word.

She pointed out that because Jesus has been tempted in the areas that we struggle and we can look to Him to help us stand firm. We go back to God's word and trust in Him and not believe the lies the enemy is telling us. We trust God's heart for us even if we can't "see" or "feel" Him. Consider while Jesus is going through this and being tempted, God the Father is not responding.

This applies to our struggles. Often times we think, we'll I'm struggling and I'm being tempted and God is no where to be seen. He is there and He wants us to trust His heart for us. It has been during these times of struggle that I have seen what God is doing but only afterwards.

I was telling Jules of an incident the other night. I woke in the night because my daughter got up with a bad dream. I went into her room and comforted her. After she fell asleep, I was overcome with negative thoughts. Feelings of inadequacy and of failure. I was overwhelmed with a desire to just give up and to quit. Not life, but ministry. I found myself sobbing and having a hard time finding truth. I felt so oppressed.

Finally, I found myself saying it doesn't matter what I feel I will do whatever God wants of me. I will not strive, I will not try to make it on my own but rather I will trust in Him. For when I am weak, He is strong. I will pursue His heart and trust in him and not believe in a someone who is known as the Father of Lies and whose language is lies.

Jesus, help me to remember that I am NOT a slave to my sin or my flesh. I am a slave to you my God and my King. I do not have to give into temptations or believe the lies of the enemy. By your example in the desert, I can see how to respond and by your blood, I have the power to overcome any attack from Satan. Jesus never let me forget your heart for me and trust in you.

Amen.


4 Comments:

  • Very interesting take on this... the three roots of all sin. I need to think about that some more.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 10:14 AM  

  • Okay, that thing I said about calling me in the middle of the night the next time you have one of those "attacks?" Never mind. If you can turn to the Father in times like these, what the heck do you need me for?

    Great post, Shannon. You rawk.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 3:16 PM  

  • If I study the seven deadly sins (the only place I could think to start) the only one that doesn't seem to fit into your criteria is sloth. (Or in other words, laziness, apathy, indifference) This sin would seem to occur when none of the other needs you mentioned is fulfilled and we just give up. It's pretty sad that the needs that can also bring out the very best in us can also bring out the very worst. Maybe that's the point.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 8:30 AM  

  • I think you're right, Shannon. I myself have been known to do that. Once again, the struggle to be "all powerful" rears its ugly head.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home