Christian Chapter Chat

2.06.2006

An Incredible Moment at a Wedding

The other times I've read about this story I never really saw the meaning behind it. I never realized this was his very first miracle performed - that this would push him out to start his ministry of comforting the lost and downtrodden.

One part that really "got" me was when Gire writes:

"Without a word from his lips, without a touch from his hand, Jesus simply wills the water to become wine and in the sacred presence of that thought, the water prostates itself and obeys."

Oh. My.

Such was his power. If he wasn't fully aware of it before this moment, he surely is aware of it now - but my guess is if Mary knows he can do such a thing, she's seen him do it before and she knows that by askingthis of him he will be able to produce. In an odd, bizarre 1960's flashback, it reminded me of when Samantha on Bewitched saw her daughter, Tabitha, twitch her nose for the very first time. What was the first miracle Mary saw Jesus perform? When did she realize that not only was he God's chosen son, but that he was going to be endowed with such supernatural powers? It makes me wonder...

Then he wrote:

"The die was cast. The clock was wound. It would begin ticking down to the final hour of his destiny and set in motion the gears that would ultimately enmesh him and cost him his life. For the wine he provided at Cana would hasten the cup he would one day drink at the cross."

Oh. My. Again.

But, of course, it was the prayer at the end that did me in. When I got to the part where it reads,
"I pray that you would take _______ and fill him with your spirit" I welled up with tears. My heart immediately filled with thoughts of my friend, Rebecca, and her family and how hard I have been praying that He will find a way to reveal Himself to her in a way that she cannot mistake - cannot push off - cannot deny. I finished the prayer in my mind with her lying across my heart, hands open, waiting for Jesus to swoop down and show Himself to her...and to all the others who need Him so very desperately, too...

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home