Christian Chapter Chat

9.08.2006

Chains

This whole chapter was captivating, right from the very first story about the man who could not break free and walk out a doorway...imprisoned by his own self.

I think one of the things that James does very well is take what is written in Scripture and put it in language that resonates with all of us. His list of addictions include 'Cheetos' and we know exactly what he means (unlike the people of another time and place). In fact that list is one I skipped through at first because I really didn't want to examine my own heart too closely. But I came back to it and read it through more carefully. Which of these things (or others) have me in chains? I don't want want to be like the king's brother...dying in chains of my own making; unwilling even to acknowledge that they are there.

My favorite line: "The crack of dawn at Easter was really the sound of chains falling away."

What a beautiful word picture of what Jesus did.

4 Comments:

  • Andrea, I did the same thing! I saw the list and started skimming past things so I wouldn't have to look too close. And CHEETOS grabbed me hard and fast when I did go back and look at it again.

    If only they weren't so cheesy!!! LOL

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:49 AM  

  • If only they weren't so good!! ;)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:05 PM  

  • I'm in total denial on these chains.

    And I agree about James...I love the way he brings things into the 21st century verbage.

    By Blogger kpjara, at 1:49 PM  

  • I admit 'Cheetos' isn't my thing but so many other things are - Coke or Pepsi would be a good one for me.

    By Blogger Andrea, at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home