Christian Chapter Chat

9.08.2006

Chains

The image which first came to mind was Hebrews 12:1 where I am running in the race. Think of the Olympic athletes who run which are stripped down, practically to the bare nothing. The less on, the better. So here I am in life racing...racing...racing...then I notice something which I believe I "must" have. It's a small circular thing, like a link. Wow! If I get just a few more I'll be able to make a connected circle which I could then wear, rather than carry, and just think how much easier that would be! Slowly and ever so carefully, the chain becomes longer and much heavier. But I'm still running....it's just now I'm not running quite so fast. But, I'm feeling great! There really isn't a problem here at all. (So I think.) Eventually, I become bowed down from the weight of the chains and I am barely walking, much less running.

The chain, or link, is anything I hold onto that ends up holding me. I firmly believe that we, as Christians just swat at our chains, kind of like the way we might swat at a gnat and therefore, remain enslaved in our chains. Let's face it, our chains are created by us for our protection and comfort. But instead the chains become our prison and we no longer control them, they control us.

Discipline and determination are important factors when it comes to opening our life to the supernatural power of God. He provides the divine dynamite to blow open every single link in all of our chains! I firmly believe that every link in our chain is related to the "thing" in our life which takes up a higher position than God. Every link is something we feel we must have. And let's not fool ourselves in that every link in the chain, which a believer wears, is a tremendous source of pride for the enemy. Why? Because the enemy cannot enter a believer! We are sealed by the Holy Spirit of God (Eph 1:13-14). Those chains are his attempt at leading us.

My heart overflows with thankfulness and gratitude to God for forgiveness of sin!! I am constantly reminded that virtually anything which cheats me of what God has for me could be considered sin. I have learned (always, it seems, the hard way) that if I don't listen to God and obey in the early stages...the longer I wait...tiptoeing around...the less discernment and strength I have. I also know for a fact that God will not release me from anything that has enslaved me until I've come to the mind of Christ in the matter. I have to adopt the mind of Christ in the matter of whatever has enslaved me. The process of applying God's Truth to the matter is what brings the Cross between me and my "chains." You see, once the mind of Christ has taken over, the power of the chains is broken and the premises begin to be evacuated.

I do believe that this chapter so far has been my favorite. Probably because I love the feel of those chains falling off me! My unsaved friends cannot understand and comprehend how burdened down they are. How they are so....not free. "But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised" (1 Corinthians 2:14).

I'll leave you with this verse: "But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today," so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin" (Hebrews 3:13).

6 Comments:

  • Love that visual of the chains!!!

    "I also know for a fact that God will not release me from anything that has enslaved me until I've come to the mind of Christ in the matter. I have to adopt the mind of Christ in the matter of whatever has enslaved me."

    If you can figure out how I can do this where food is concerned I'll leave you everything I have in my will. (Not that there's all that much mind you but hey...it's all I got!)

    I think your point is right on - I just can't seem to figure out how to apply it in some of the bigger, thicker chains in my life.

    What really gets me is that I've overcome both drinking issues and smoking issues but I can't seem to set the darn second donut down! UGH!!! How can we be successful in breaking one chain and NOT be successful in breaking another? It's to exasperating!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 9:17 AM  

  • This is the point that I think we miss so many times.

    How in the world am I supposed to adopt the mind of Christ? Really, how? I really don't see that God's actions in our lives are contingent on what we do. That somehow, we must get our act together before He'll move in our life.

    Reminds of a little diddy Steve Martin did years ago in a stand-up routine - "How to become a millionaire." First, get a million dollars.

    Well, duh. HOW?

    When we realize it's NOT about us, but it's ALL about Him, we can surrender. All things are from Him and through Him. If God doesn't do the work in us, it ain't gonna get done. He has to change us from the inside out. Anyone can modify their behavior, but does that mean they're set free in their hearts?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:53 AM  

  • *laughing* Jules, leave it all to your church!! :)

    God does want us all to be victors. And I think it is important to understand that we don't become victors by conquering the enemy...rather, we become victors through surrender to Christ. It is our dependence on God that makes us victorious.

    It all takes place in our mind, in our thoughts. I believe the journey begins with taking our captive thoughts to Christ. I believe we have casual thoughts and captive thoughts. Most captivating thoughts were, at one time, casual thoughts not surrendered to the knowledge of Christ. Does this make sense?

    Now, I don't mean that we never have "the thought" again but rather, we learn to "think the thought" as it relates to Christ and who we are in Him.

    "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will do amazing things among you" (Josh. 3:5). Remember, the wonders God wants to do in all your/our tomorrows are prepared for in our todays!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:26 AM  

  • Amen, Claire. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:21 PM  

  • I agree with Claire....

    one thing that helps me with my addictions is by knowing that everything I do concerning them is my choice - I chose to have that 2nd donut - I must be accountable and not just blow it off.... once I can admit that, then I ask myself if I do this will it glorify God.... will it glorify God to buy this new shirt I simply must have....

    you know, one of my friends used to say "oh, I cant do that" - and I would stop her and tell her that she needed to say "I wont do that, not I cant do that" b/c she could do it, she just chose not to

    man, I hope all that makes sense

    By Blogger dangermama, at 3:21 PM  

  • Gosh, Addie, remind me never to go clothes shopping with you! LOL

    I agree with everyone. I do believe it all comes down to how we view our thoughts and what patterns we break by taking them before Christ - I just hate that I keep putting these same chains back ON again after I get set free. Do you ever wonder if the chains are what keep us from just floating on up to heaven???

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home