Christian Chapter Chat

8.31.2006

Creation

A bit late but here goes:

I was quite encouraged by the subtitle of the book ie: 'Recapture the mystery'. As Christian believers we are somewhat guilty of limiting God in our lives and putting Him a box for private use - see page 17 (intro). So, yes, I want to recapture the mystery and be in God's will for my life so that I am living out my life for Him.

Having re-read the first chapter I have to comment initially on Stevens' remarks about darkness. I don't agree with his comment about darkness being there already. To me the KJV of the Bible tells me that darkness came about at the time of creation. "In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved over the face of the waters."
Now 'deep' in this context is read as ' a surging mass of water' [Strongs 8415]. So to me, this was literally just the beginning and then: "And God said let there be light.........and God divided the light from the darkness."

Again, I have to say that I struggle with the concept of attributing human feelings etc to God, although I fully accept that Christ was fully man and fully God whilst on the earth - but that's another story!!!

I love the fact of the knowledge that God knew me even before I was formed and it is only quite recently that I have begun to accept that knowledge but I find Stevens' dialogue on page 20 a bit flippant. Yes, God wants a close relationship with us - we are, after all, His Bride - but to say that God was 'daydreaming' about me/us, is, I think, taking poetic licence just a bit too far!

However, as Steven says, 'The point is, the Creator created. He did it. He spoke it.' And that is the whole point!

One final point. We must not forget that Genesis 1 v26 says, "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:......." The key word here is, obviously, 'our'. Let's not forget Father, Son & Holy Spirit.

I'm enjoying this folks and it's leading me back into the Word. I am about to start a study entitled, "Cover to cover: Through the Bible as it happened." So with one thing and another I am going to be busy. However I am hoping to restart blogging over at 'Dave's Place' this coming weekend. So hopefully I can meet you there as well.

4 Comments:

  • Better late than never, Dave! So glady you jumped on board.

    I, too, can struggle at times with the attributing human characteristics to God since He is so "Other" from us.

    So glad to hear you are going to re-start blogging again! Sounds like your study will be an excellent one!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 7:36 AM  

  • Well all I can say is good start, Dave! I'm really happy that this book is doing two things so far: For some, it's pulling them further into the Word and for others it's getting their imaginations to ask new sets of questions. That is exactly my intent for having picked this book!

    I love the word "our" too. Man was created in "our" image and it is vitally important that we remember that. To me, that reminds me that He is with me in spirit, He is with me in body, and He is calling me to be Holy - those three together convince me we ARE made in His likeness!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 8:24 AM  

  • Very good thoughts, Dave.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:14 AM  

  • great post... I look forward to hearing what else you have to say

    By Blogger dangermama, at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home