Christian Chapter Chat

8.28.2006

Creation

Steven James writes a delightful story, but it isn't the story I would write. That doesn't mean I don't like it, though. I love the idea of Creation. Pondering the beginning of…everything. I wander around pondering the idea of eternity. It's easier to think of eternity going forward, but it's harder to wrap my brain around eternity backwards. Then, of course, I wander into Einstein's theory of relativity - that time is not a constant. It is not what we think it is. So then I wander over to take a look at the Big Bang - the supposed beginning of…what? But what happened before the Big Bang? Well, this isn't about my story, it's about Stephen James' story.

I have a little trouble with his understanding of darkness. If God is all there is, then darkness is part of that. I think we give darkness a bad rap. I prefer to think of darkness as the place we shove the things we're afraid of.

I also have a bit of trouble with the concept of God knowing my name at the onset of creation. Being a bit flip, admittedly, the English language wasn't around then. In fact, no language was around then. So what was/is it that God knows before I have a spoken name, flesh and bones? My soul? Now I'm off on another wander pondering just what is that thing called soul that God recognizes from the beginning of creation. Where does it fit on the entire continuum of matter/energy, which is what the universe is?

The section of Creation that spoke most clearly was his writing about God creating male and female. His strongest words: "By fighting each other, we diminish ourselves. The image of God is found in our unity as well as our uniqueness." Powerful words that resonate in my heart. The only hesitation I had was when he further spoke of males being male and females being female. I'm hoping that isn't a subtle statement against homosexuality. That would negate his comment that I like, that by fighting each other, we diminish ourselves. But, maybe he didn't mean that.

Sorry I haven't figured out colors yet. I have to use a different browser.

3 Comments:

  • Good questions, Pat! And I know a few astrologers who would agree with you about the darkness NOT being nothing. I remember about a year or so ago hearing that it is what lies BETWEEN the planets out in outer space that they think holds all the keys to the universe now. All this time, we've apparently been looking at the wrong stuff.

    How cool is that?

    And I didn't get that Stephen's intent was one of diminishing homosexuals at all - although I can see where that thought might have crossed your mind.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 8:15 AM  

  • Jules, did you mean astronomers not astrologers (although they probably would agree too)?

    good thoughts, except I think you are limiting God when you are thinking that He couldnt have known your name b/c the English language yet - I dont think it matters, He doesnt just exist in one time (ie: before the invention of the English language).... just my thoughts

    good to see you posting though

    By Blogger dangermama, at 8:44 AM  

  • Yes, Addie, I did. :-) That's what I get for commenting on the sly at work!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home