Christian Chapter Chat

8.28.2006

Creation

Like most of you, the first chapter was a catalyst for my own questions (and possible scenarios as answers). I also agree with all of you who said God didn't need companionship. But it got me to thinking... what did God need (If anything) that would cause that first fateful word to be spoken?

I look at my own life when everything seems to be balanced and running like a well-oiled machine, and I sometimes have a longing to shake things up a little. Was God bored with all His unity? Did he crave a little diversity, some chance, some chaos in His well-ordered life? We don't know why God created the material universe, only that He did. That it would be an unpredictable, random, free-will kind of place was certainly an ultimate risk of loving... you can only "let go" when love is so unconditional it requires nothing in return.

Our longing to return to the source of our being is all we have that requires us to seek God and do His will. Maybe that in itself is another expression of His infinite love.

5 Comments:

  • You sly dog, CJ! It's a good thing I scrolled down and found your post! ;)

    And, congratulations on your newest grandson! It's a beautiful pic of you holding him on your blog! Your hands are so very graceful looking.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 5:10 PM  

  • You are a sly dog! Now get up to the top where you belong! :-)

    I have often wondered about this, too. I agree that he didn't NEED anything but then why? Just to shake things up? Surely...surely there was another reason for wanting to put so much love out into the world???

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 6:22 PM  

  • Not my fault where this post landed... blogger put me there. (I'll do my best to get my homework in on time in future :)

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 8:32 PM  

  • You know it is impossible to answer such a question apart from divine revelation. Since we ourselves are a part of this creation we are, therefore, in no position to judge our Creator. The fact that He created man is sufficient proof in itself that He had reason to do so. What God does must be right, and must be rational, by definition. "Shall the thing formed say to Him that formed it, Why have You made me thus?" (Romans 9:20).

    I again go back to Rev 4:11...Man was created at God's will and pleasure...

    But, it doesn't satisfy our curiosity, does it? ;)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:45 PM  

  • ahhh - CJ, I was beginning to wonder where you were.... loved this post from you - I too have the same questions and come to the same sort of questioning conclusion

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home