Christian Chapter Chat

8.30.2006

Harmony

There was quite a bit that stood out to me in this 5-page chapter. I found myself wondering with James, “why is it so rare?” Why is the ‘harmony, precision, symmetry, unbridled beauty, poetry in motion’…so rare?

I hear what James says about the splintering and shattering of this harmony through the sins that entered in the Garden of Eden. What troubles me is we are then redeemed through the blood of Jesus and called to live a life of harmony and beauty and precision, the very things that are lacking in our state of ‘free-will’.

From my own observation, I believe the underlying sin that continues to trip most people up is pride. We get caught up in what we do well or don’t do well and it consumes us. When we become out of harmony, our lives seem to careen.

I love the poem in the book about the women hailing the cab. I think it captures the essence of how random and fleeting harmony truly is in our society. The very act of seeking harmony creates separation from it.

I thought about James’ words about the film and book versions of utopia and how they also seem to be lacking. As I read “But of course there’s no adventure anymore.” I immediately thought of the word PASSION and he later names it as such.

I had never really thought about the Garden of Eden being an adventure or ‘jungle’ as James defines Genesis 2:16. I think it may be a gender driven definition, because when I read “You are free”, I think of freedom from inhibition, shame, pride, oppression, obsession…free of all sin. I think of utter joy.

I think men, being warriors at heart, would probably see freedom more as Braveheart saw freedom.

The greatest part of that freedom that now seems so elusive, to me, is the freedom to physically interact and commune with God. What an incredible experience that must have been and perhaps it makes our salvation that much more incredible because we will once again experience that in heaven which is clearly lacking on earth.

I also believe the ‘snatches of harmony’ he alludes to in his ‘orchestration’ poem are sometimes placed before us to keep us seeking and striving towards that reality. They are God's constant reminder and push towards what we desire.

Side note: After reading the Chapter 1 entries from some of this group I feel a bit out of my league as a theologian, however, I believe God brought us together to learn from one another and I look forward to learning from each of you.

4 Comments:

  • Kim...out of your league as a theologian? Oh pishaw! We're all just normal people looking at God's world in different ways. Some have been on the journey longer than others but it certainly doesn't make your points any less real or important.

    Personally, I think you nailed this one!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 7:50 AM  

  • I also believe the ‘snatches of harmony’ he alludes to in his ‘orchestration’ poem are sometimes placed before us to keep us seeking and striving towards that reality. They are God's constant reminder and push towards what we desire.

    Those 'snatches' seem to be little glimpses of heaven that remind us we what life is really about? I thought you expressed it very well!

    By Blogger Andrea, at 9:28 AM  

  • Kim, I too, think you expressed your thoughts very well. One can tell that you meditated on what you had read. You picked up on passion as did I. :)

    You are not out of your league at all! Just as Jules stated we are all in this together for a reason. We will learn from each other!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 10:37 AM  

  • as stated by everyone else - you are so not out of your league... I think all of us "oldies" felt that at the beginning, but it gets easier the more you grow comfortable with it...

    with that being said, I think you touched on some wonderful points and expressed yourself clearly... it even brought up a few more ponderings on my part....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home