Christian Chapter Chat

4.28.2006

Instructive Moment About Death

The words that intrigue me the most are these: Death. It is the most misunderstood part of life. it is not a great sleep but a great awakening... (we) see things at last the way God has seen them all along.

Every once in a while I get that sense... Brushes with the Holy Spirit, where I see things differently, and imagine that the new way I'm seeing then is closer to the way God sees. I wish those times came more often, but they are scary. This story is scary. There's no redemption for the selfish rich man. There's no redemption for his family left behind. The one time when he actually thinks about someone besides himself... that request is refused as well.

There are many levels to this parable... the obvious reference to Jesus' own death and resurrection is apparent: "Neither will they be convinced if someone rises from the dead." And it's so true. We just can't seem to learn from other people's mistakes or successes. Living a peaceful, comfortable, even luxurious life is a good thing, or so it seems. Our advertising certainly promotes the virtues of the affluent lifestyle. "VISA... it's everywhere you want to be."

The prayer echoes Gire's insight about death. The problem is it ends on a somewhat false conclusion... "if I do something for the least of these..." what does that imply? That as long as I've met my quota of ONE who is the least of these, I'm cool? I can accept that my lifestyle is in line with God's will. I was kind to a homeless man and gave him a dollar. I didn't need to give him five dollars, he might have used it to buy drugs. I'm cool. I visited some stranger on my way to a friend in the hospital, I'm cool. I wrote a letter to some guy in prison. I'm cool. The only point I'm making here (for myself) is that it's very easy to justify how little I actually do for the poor, by saying I did it for one.

6 Comments:

  • CJ, you and I were both struck by the same quote. Great minds, eh? must think alike! ;)

    I agree, this story IS scary but only for the unbeliever. For Lazarus...WOW!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:21 AM  

  • I think Gire was just quoting Jesus when He said if you do something for the least of these (meaning the poor, the sick, etc), then you do it for Me.... not that doing the least that you can do... to simplify, least is in reference to the state of the people that you do it for, not how much you do... does that make any sense at all

    great post though...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 11:29 AM  

  • "We just can't seem to learn from other people's mistakes or successes."

    This is what I thought was so true about the story. This is also why I am so open to so many different ideas or concepts about religion and what I believe. What if I am a Pharisee in some way and don't know it? I like to keep my thinking open until I can definitely say,"no, that doesn't line up. It doesn't look right." and even then I still like to keep it as a back thought and give it a chance to grow or die. I trust that God will do with that thought what is appropriate.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 12:58 PM  

  • I have a question: the Lazarus in this parable went to be with Abraham, but it doesn't say he went to "heaven." And he certainly was an unbeliever because Jesus is telling the story. There were no believers yet. So where did Lazarus go?

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 1:56 PM  

  • Yes, he was a believer in that he looked to the promise of Who was to come taught in the Old Testament. The Old Testament definintely points to Christ as the Messiah and He would be the One to save them from their sins.

    As in yesterdays discussions...he went to heaven/paradise...not the eternal heaven which will be the final place for all of us believers.

    Hope this helps.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 2:16 PM  

  • Got it. Thanks.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home