Christian Chapter Chat

2.13.2006

An Intimate Moment with a Woman at a Well

We finally get to the story of the woman at the well. Next to the story of the Prodigal Son, this is one of my favorites.

"She has gone from man to man like one lost in the desert, sun-struck and delirious. For her, marriage has been a retreating mirage. Again and again she has returned to the matrimonial well, hoping to draw from it something to quench her thirst for love and happiness. But again and again, she has left that well disappointed."

Well, at least she GOT to the matrimonial well. I, on the other hand, have not even made it that far in my relationships with men. There were a few that I thought would, could, should get that far, but it always eluded me. In the end, they all cheated or they lied or they just threw me away. Eventually, I began beating them to the punch.

Now, of course, I realize I wasn't dating men that knew God. They weren't looking to build a family or build a solid life. They were looking to solve their lonliness for a few months or years and then move on when things got tough. I used to think it was me. Now I know better. It was me alright - me picking men that God would not allow for me to have because He knew some day I'd be here and they would not be good enough for me. (That God...He's so darn smart!)

"Yet, to her, a nameless woman with a failed life, he gives the most profound discourse in Scripture on the subject of worship - that God is spirit and that worship is not an approach of the body to a church, but an approach of the soul to the spirit of God."

Can I hear an AMEN?! That is just so beautiful!

But why I love this story so much is because it happens to be an interaction between Christ and a woman. Jesus Christ, in a day when it was "all about the men," shares this revelation with a worn out, "I feel useless" woman. It's one of the few times that I feel my worth in being a woman while reading the bible. He told one of US. He offers living water to one of US. He sees US as worthy.

Worthy of His time. Worthy of His knowledge. Worthy of His love.

1 Comments:

  • You are correct, Jules. Christ did more to liberate women than anyone else! Just think how He showed Himself to Mary in the garden after He arose. That was unheard of! I'm sure (I'm hoping) we'll touch on that, too, in this book. :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home