Christian Chapter Chat

2.20.2006

An Intimate Moment with Peter

It's been a weekend full of reading for me. Some of it from the book that Dan loaned me to read; some from the book "Waking the Dead" that was referenced at our church service last Wednesday night and some from "Moments with the Savior." They've all had a profound effect on me throughout the weekend - leaving me questioning things and seeking answers.

One of the recurring themes that has circled my daily life for several months now is "Now that God is in my life and my light for Him has been turned on, how will that affect what I do for a living?" I've become more and more restless with my job as an administrative professional to the point where going to work has become almost a chore for me. Something I once loved to do has now become fruitless and has left me wanting to change directions entirely. But what? Where? How?

I think many Christians look at the story of Peter and say to themselves, "Wow, he walked away from everything he knew to follow Jesus. That must have really taken some guts..." I used to think that way. But today, reading this chapter, as I am home sick from work on a day when I probably could have gone in (but why bother) I find myself thinking Peter is the luckiest man in the entire bible. He saw so clearly what his calling was that he never stopped to doubt it. He left his career not as it was going down the tubes, but at the high point - where he had just hauled in the biggest catch of his life, and still, he walked away. He knew...somehow he knew in his bones that it was the right thing to do.

I feel God pushing me away from what I used to love so it would be easier for me to let go and move on to what He wants for me to become; but I, unlike Peter, am not so sure of things. And yet, what is stopping me? A mortgage? A puppy dog? A car payment? I know I'm going to regret this later (I almost always do...) but okay, God, here goes...

Show me. Take my hand and show me. I'll open up my life to you in the same way Simon Peter did if you will just show me what it is you desire of my life. I'm ready to cut my strings and move on if that is what you want for me to do - but I need you to show me in the same simple, direct way that you showed Simon Peter. Just tell me as simply as the words you spoke to him -

"Don't be afraid...from now on you will catch men."

Whether it be a move to something more spiritual or whether you have something in mind where I do regular work but minister to those around me through it, I invite you to share your dreams for me with me. I promise that no matter what I hear not to blame it on the Nyquil...

11 Comments:

  • Addie, what a step of faith you are taking! I'm so excited for you! I'll begin praying right now for you.

    I can remember when I "walked away" from a very lucrative job (I was the accountant for a medical company) and didn't look back. People could not understand why I would do that. And, I would explain how I thought I needed to be a full time wife and mother. Still they struggled with leaving the money. I just explained that God would provide...my job is not the source of my income, God is.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 9:23 AM  

  • Okay Jules, I'll play devil's advocate here. (Because I just read an insightful blog by Susan Rose about thinking of your present job as your ministry). My own experience has been that God doesn't always answer with writing on the wall. The answer is inside us all the time and we have to tease it out by experimenting, risking, moving one foot in front of the other. I love jumping off cliffs, myself. Maybe that's why I don't get to very often.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 9:51 AM  

  • Did I just have a major brain cloud, Jules? I'm so sorry I called you Addie! I have no idea what I was thinging so will just chalk it up to a "monday."

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 9:58 AM  

  • ha, Claire, that made me laugh

    Jules - are you still doing the list of words from Scripture that you started?

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:15 AM  

  • Claire, you made me laugh, too. I wrote the post and i was scrolling up going, "Hey, isn't this the one I wrote???" Thanks for the laugh!

    Addie, that is so funny, too, because after that night with Rebecca, I totally forgot about it! I'm going to have to bring that back for LENT!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:38 AM  

  • CJ: Sorry, I walked right by your comment without saying anything...
    I read that post, too and I think that's what got me thinking about all this again. It's just that I really can't seem to find a first step here. Nothing has triggered my imagination or got me wanting to move and I think that's why I'm asking for God's push/ shove/ anything to get me moving.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:40 AM  

  • I know how that feels.
    Hey, this is off the subject, but I love the hands photo from your blog. I'm working on a new meditation using pictures of hands and the song Hands by Jewel. Any chance I could include yours?

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 11:50 AM  

  • CJ that seems a neat idea - do you think you could share when you are done?

    By Blogger dangermama, at 12:08 PM  

  • I'm working on a Mac with a software program called iphotos. If you have that software I may be able to email it to you...don't know exactly. Otherwise, I could do it in powerpoint and email that.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 12:29 PM  

  • I dont think I have iphotos, but I do have powerpoint... thanks

    By Blogger dangermama, at 12:40 PM  

  • CJ, you can use it but it's not my picture - it's my father's. As long as you don't reference it in your work, that's fine with me. I'll email you a copy.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home