Christian Chapter Chat

2.13.2006

An Intimate Moment With the Woman at the Well

How interesting that I would read this passage following a conversation I had yesterday. In giving a tour of our building following the service, I had the opportunity to engage in a lengthy discussion with someone who is searching to know the heart of God. A self proclaimed agnostic, she was looking to see who God is and what that would look like in her life.

As we talked, I talked about how we all have a God shaped hole in us. A part of us that can only be filled by God. It is the ache in our souls, the part of us that longs for something more, that wants to believe there is a life out there that is better than the one we have. We may try to attain power, prestige, marriage, children, material things, popularity and even religious activity to make the hole go away but the chasm grows ever wider.

It is only a personal, intimate relationship with Jesus Christ that can fill that hole and bring to us living water. The Holy Spirit will come to live in us and give us the power to stand firm against our flesh, the world, and the enemy. He will transform us as we open ourselves up and repent of our sin and our attempt to do life on our own.

So then I read this meditation and I think hmm, yep, we all have a God shaped hole and we can choose to continue to fill it with things (water) from this world or we can go to Jesus and fill up with living water.

I've tasted both and the water of this world always leaves you thirsty for something more so I want to long more for my Lord and His living water.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home