Christian Chapter Chat

2.13.2006

An Intimate Moment with a Woman at the Well

What jumped out at me this time is something Gire didn’t even cover, and isn’t exactly about the woman either. It’s the last part of the Scripture…

“So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. And because of his words many more became believers.”

Here is a group of people that on a normal occasion would hate a Jew, and a normal Jew would hate this group of people. But this is no ordinary Jew. How fascinating that this group almost immediately accepts Him and what He says to them. How different would this scene be if it had been actual Jews – Jesus’ own people, instead of the Samaritans? It seems to me, that most times that Jesus was with the Jews, they rejected Him. Or if they didn’t reject Him, they “needed” a sign to believe. But all it takes for these people is His presence and His words.

These people were so hungry for love, so thirsty for life, that they didn’t bother bartering for it. They automatically just ate and drank up what the Messiah had to offer.

So who am I more often – a Jew that always needs a sign before I accept what God offers whether that be blessings or trials, or am I a Samaritan that takes what God offers, no questions asks, simply because it was Him that offered it?

2 Comments:

  • Okay, that just totally gave me goosebumps!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 4:24 PM  

  • Addie, I love the object lesson you drew from this. It really does make one stop and think...am I being accepting or am I being to prideful, caught up in my pure "Jewishness" to, not only follow what Christ is asking of me, but to also, be open and loving to whomever He brings across my path. That could include the homeless all the way to the govenor. Thanks, Addie!
    I missed your posting the other day! :) I'm glad you came back with a bang.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home