Christian Chapter Chat

2.17.2006

An Insightful Moment at Nazarus

I'm going to start off my going in a whole different direction here by blowing up one line in this chapter and running with it. Bear with me, K?

"For those "few" and for those "others" he left the door open. Just as his Father had been willing to do for Sodom, for as few people as ten."

One thought has come back to me over and over again the whole time we've been reading this book and I would just like to wonder out loud for a moment.

When, exactly, do you think it was that Jesus stopped thinking of Joseph as his "father" and started thinking of God as his FATHER? I know this seems like a ridiculous question but it keeps poking at me so I'm going to run with it here for a moment. See, we have our human fathers and we have God, our Father. But Jesus - He really was the Father's son and not Joseph's and I wonder if at any point that dawned on Jesus? Surely Mary didn't speak to him of his conception (everybody saw "eeewww, gross!") so at what point did Jesus look at Joseph and wonder, "Is this man my father?" And, if he did ever realize it, did it change the way he felt about Joseph or about how he felt as being the product of a union between God and Mary? Did he ever know for sure that Joseph was not his biological son?

I know its weird to think about this but every time I hear or see Jesus referring to "my Father's house" or "my Father's wishes" I wonder about this. Where - at what point in his life - did Jesus make this connection and begin to speak as if he were talking about his Father also being his father? Or did he?

Any feedback ladies???

5 Comments:

  • Well, He certainly knew it when He was 12 at the temple "learning about My Father's business." Earlier than 12? Probably so but definitely by 12 He was actively growing in His wisdom and understanding of who He was. That's my take on it Jules. Hope it helps.

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 9:27 PM  

  • Okay... this may be sacreligious, but I'm pulling a Gire now, and imagining a conversation between Joseph and Jesus, where the "Birds and Bees" topic is discussed...
    Joseph: "And that's where babies come from... except in your case, that is."

    Jesus: "You mean because Mom is still a virgin?"

    Joseph: "Well, that too. But your conception was a little different because the Holy Spirit created you in your mother's womb."

    Jesus: "So God's my real Dad? How do you know for sure?"

    Joseph: "An angel told me in a dream. And your mother corroborated the story."

    Jesus: "Does that mean I don't have to be a carpenter when I grow up?"

    Joseph: "Probably."

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 11:22 AM  

  • CJ, I swear, you just crack. me. up. : )

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 1:59 PM  

  • You are too funny, CJ! That's great! :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 3:52 PM  

  • well, I always figured Jesus knew how He was going to be conceived b/c He was in on the plan, so Mary never had to explain that to Him - He knew, He knew what His ministry and His purpose on earth was going to be - He was still God...

    I imagine Him treating Joseph like a step-father, a very much loved one - he wasnt his real father in conception, but rather, he still played the father role - he provided for Him, he protected Him, he guided for Him, and he set an example of a godly man....

    and it wasnt just Joseph, Jesus knew that He wasnt entirely "earthly" -remember the time that the disciples told Jesus that his mother was asking for Him, and he asked who His mother was? He knew what was important and that was the heavenly, not the earthly....

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home