Christian Chapter Chat

2.20.2006

Intimate Moment with Peter

Peter has always been one of my favorite disciples. This encounter is perhaps the only time that Peter chooses his words carefully. After that, he's constantly putting his foot in it. The one thing Peter leaves that isn't mentioned, is his wife. I wonder about her feelings in all of this: he's leaving not only a decent livlihood, but taking a drastic move to follow an itinerant preacher to his death. We only hear about her once... when Jesus cures her of fever, and she's obviously still on speaking terms with Peter, because she gets up and serves them.

The prayer was the most helpful to me..."call me from a shallow faith near the shore, which requires no risks... call me to a deeper commitment to you." Many of my friends know that I have no trouble with risk. It's the deep commitment part that stalls me every time.

5 Comments:

  • CJ, I'm afraid I'm missing something. You don't think you have what it takes to make a deep committment and yet, you are a NUN? You are a NUN! How is that not a deep committment to God? How much more of a committment could you possibly make?

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 8:56 AM  

  • Here's the deal: I'm a candidate in my third year of discernment to become a life-professed nun. I have not yet taken life vows. And yes, that's still up for grabs. They call this time "testing your vocation." They aren't kidding either. :)

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 9:45 AM  

  • I thought Jesus healed Peter's mother in law, and not his wife... I need to look that up...

    By Blogger dangermama, at 10:12 AM  

  • You are probably right about that. On the other hand, if he's got a mother-in-law... then there must have been a wife. I saw a play once that was from Peter's wife's point of view. Very empowering.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 11:22 AM  

  • oh yeah, I didnt mean Peter didnt have a wife - although you never think about her much do you - she must have had alot of faith in Jesus as well to understand her husband leaving everything for Him, and not want a divorce

    good thoughts

    By Blogger dangermama, at 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home