Christian Chapter Chat

2.20.2006

An Insightful Moment with Peter

I love this story. It reminds me of my life changing decision 7 years ago.

I was working as a Hall Director at a university. I had my sights set on becoming a Vice President of Student Affairs someday and my future was looking bright. I had received a national award for my work in housing and had many glowing references and items for my resume. I was serving on committees with the President and many Vice Presidents from the University and had a great network.

Then my husband graduated from graduate school and we moved to Kansas City for his new job. I secured a job on campus at the university and began making new connections but wanted to be back in Springfield. My position was as a Hall Director again and after 5 years of living on campus and our son rapidly approaching 2 years of age. It was time to move off campus. Unfortunately none of the jobs at the university were panning out. Then a position came open at our church for an administrator and I applied.

It was such a strange experience. These people were not even slightly impressed with my resume or all my glowing references. They could care less about my national awards. They wanted to know me, about my walk with God, about my struggles to follow Him, what was my dark side like, and all that. I had NEVER been through a job interview like this one. I found myself completely in the dark and for the first time ever totally dependent on God.

What began as a way to earn some money until something at the university opened up, began to totally transform my life. I realized that God was asking me to leave my fishing boat (my career in the university) and come follow Him to become a fisher of people. So I stepped away from the money, the prestige, the education I had spent years getting, and of course the approval of all the people who couldn't believe I was leaving my career to go to work for a church. Now almost exactly 7 years later, I can not imagine doing anything else and I feel so amazingly priviledged to get to do what I do.

I still struggle with saying to Jesus "Because you say so I will..." but I am so very thankful that He is patient with me and continues to make me into someone I never dreamed I would be.

2 Comments:

  • thats an awesome testimony... I wish more churches (or anywhere for that matter) would do job interviews like that instead of just getting someone to fill the position - I think we would have much stronger churches

    By Blogger dangermama, at 4:46 PM  

  • Of course, I'm totally prejudiced on this issue - I both agree that we do a great job in hiring the right people for the right job at North Heartland, but I also think Shannon is a true and wonderful addition to that staff. That she would be doing anything else just amazes me...

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home