Christian Chapter Chat

2.20.2006

An Insightful Moment with Peter (Luke 5:1-11)

This apparently isn't the only time in which Jesus called Peter to follow Him. If that is the case, I love how faithful Jesus is to continue drawing until we come.

I imagine, like Gire writes, that Peter is sore and tired. To have put in a night of fishing and come up empty handed must have been frustrating to him. And, whether Peter was productive or not, those nets still needed to be cleaned. In my mind, I would much rather clean and mend them after a catch rather than after a zero haul.

Peter is one of my favorite disciples. Maybe because of his zest for life. Peter's obedience to drop the nets into the water shows me a significant amount of faith. At least enough where he bowed his will to the Lord. I see two responses to this event. The first being Peter's amazement (as well as the other's amazement) and Peter's recognition of his sinfulness before Christ. What a humbling experience. What a picture of coming to God! Recognizing our own sinfulness before Almighty God and understanding that we cannot save ourselves. Understanding that Jesus is the only one Who can help us enables us to let go and follow Him.

This whole story demonstrates to me Christ's desire to be involved in our day to day activities. He gets out there with them in the boat. He knows they were not productive during the night and He rectifies it. He rectifies it in such a way that I imagine this would most likely be their biggest haul ever! Can you imagine the human response to all this? The dollar signs were mounting up I bet. Then, He calls them. He calls them to leave their profitable business, to walk away, and become fishers of men. Can I walk away like this when Christ calls me to something?

Unlike the apostle Paul who heard Christ and followed immediately, these men had heard and followed more on a part time basis. They continued to fish as they listened to what Christ had to say, they watched as He healed, they absorbed what ever they could from Him. Once Christ met them at their level...became directly involved in their personal lives, then they left and followed Him full time. This demonstrates to me how important it is for me to not only acknowledge Christ as my Savior, but to move forward out of my past and look to the future, entrusting my future to Him.

I enjoyed Gire's portrayal of Christ teaching the Word. "He doesn't hold it over their heads like a club. He simply holds it up to the light. And thus held, a rainbow of color washes hope over the gray crowd. Colors of a new kingdom in the first blush of its dawn." What a beautiful picture his words paint.

Again, I'm moved by Gire's prayer at the end of the chapter. Maybe because I'm a caustious person, let's not rush into things without checking them out kind of person I was convicted by Gire's writing, "Call me, Lord, out from a shallow faith near the shore, which requires no risks and offers no rewards. Call me to a deeper commitment to You. And when You call, grant that I would be quick in my boat, swift to my oars, and fast with my nets. And I pray, grant me the eyes to see who it is who labors by my side...an awesome and almighty God." Oh, yes, an awesome and almighty God indeed!

I'm still awed when I ponder on how God desires to work alongside me. He allows me to come into His work and toil right along with Him. Does He need my help? Absolutely not. What a privilege it is to be granted access! Hallelujah!

4 Comments:

  • Sounds like we both resonated with that prayer. :)

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 9:53 AM  

  • Yes, CJ, quite convicted I was! :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 9:56 AM  

  • Claire, I love that last sentence... that is definetly something to meditate on

    By Blogger dangermama, at 12:09 PM  

  • In journeying through my healing process in Aug 04, I came to realize I was a bit like ole Peter. :)

    Jesus really had to do some major sifting in his life; and that's what He's done to/for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home