Christian Chapter Chat

2.24.2006

Incredible Moment with a Paralytic

This Scripture was just read in our liturgical calendar last week, so its implications are still fresh in my mind. A deacon friend of mine preached on it and we were discussing what had come from his preaching just yesterday. (Another miracle story from someone else who works with him... a four month old baby cured of brain cancer... that baby now grown into a beautiful young woman... a woman with a droopy eyelid.) Her eyelid is an outward sign of the Holy Spirit's healing power in her body at four months of age. it was not her faith, but the faith of her parents and their friends who created a network of prayer after cancer had already ravaged the nerves that control the eye's opening and closing, and was growing fast enough to kill her. When the surgeon reluctantly went back in to operate to try to relieve the pressure... he found the tumor gone and no sign of cancer. Healing miracles still happen in our own time. She is living proof.

I have a friend currently battling cancer. He's been through two aggressive rounds of chemo and the lymphoma just keeps coming back, somewhere else. Now he has a tumor on his spine and it's taken away the use of his left arm and partial use of his right. My deacon friend and I went to see him in the hospital yesterday, and he related the miracle story he had heard from his colleague.

As I drove home last night I wondered why it is that all my prayers have been for emotional and spiritual healing... a whole lot of "if it be your will, please heal this man of his cancer" instead of calling down the power of Christ for a miracle. My faith is not like those of the paralytic's friends. If I am honest, I cannot find that certainty within me to demand a healing for this man. I wish I could. He deserves way more than my puny attempts.

3 Comments:

  • CJ, you are stuck right in the same place I am. This is why I have put off and put off going to the front of my church to have my pastors pray for me to be healed. Who am I to ask for a miracle? Really? Shouldn't I just ask for His will to be done?

    Finally, I read two really great articles over at Rev-Ed's blog "Attention Span" about healing and they really helped me clear my head over it all. Plus, that one morning when God Himself told me to get over it and ask...

    I now pray for a miracle but ASK for His will to be done. Does that make sense. I simply tell Him what I wish and what I want and then add, "if that be your will." He knows our hearts. He's a smart guy. He can figure it out...

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 10:59 AM  

  • I am exactly in the same boat and just accept that God has not given me the gift of prayer and/or healing.... which means I pray, but I really dont ask for anything - I usually pray that God's will be done, and whatever it is, that they would grow closer to Him through that... but then I am reminded of the parable that Jesus told of the woman bothering the judge over and over and thats how we are supposed to be with prayer.... things to think about

    By Blogger dangermama, at 11:12 AM  

  • CJ, don't you think we struggle in this area because (lack of faith) 1) we think, "who am I to God? I'm so insignificant..." rather than remembering that He would have paid that very expensive price of the Cross even if you were the only person to ever come to Him and 2) we call God a liar because we doubt His promises to us.

    What a story about the young women who was healed...to God be the Glory! :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home