Christian Chapter Chat

2.24.2006

An Incredible Moment with a Paralytic

I had a few fragmented thoughts, but one thought has just kept nagging at me.

Jesus forgave the paralytic’s sins first because of his friend’s faith. Is this why they brought him? Instead of physical healing as is usually emphasized, were they really seeking spiritual healing for their friend?

Havent we all had a friend who is/has been struggling with something – guilt, fear, shame? What if those same people were handicapped – which would be the worse prison? If you could only heal one, which would you choose? I would dare say if it were me, I would rather be loosed from the emotional/mental/spiritual prison than the physical one. Physical handicaps are not usually able to hold down people who are not mentally imprisoned.

I wonder what had this man done or had done to him that was causing such anguish… I guess its not important, but what is is that Jesus set him free… I love the nonchalance of the paralytic after being physically healed – he takes his mat and leaves. Makes me really think that the physical healing was just an added bonus for him, and it was the spiritual prison that he was so happy to be free of…

But then, that’s just my thoughts…

3 Comments:

  • "But then, that's just my thoughts..."

    Addie, they are not "just" your thoughts. They are YOUR THOUGHTS and they matter. Say them with conviction girl!

    Once again - four views on the same chapter and four totally different things we got from it all. I LOVE THIS GROUP! I never would have thought about it from this viewpoint, Addie. It really made me see it in a whole other way.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 11:27 AM  

  • yeah, I know you are right Jules - I always have a complex about offending people in the back of my mind (I dont know why though)... I will work on that... :)

    By Blogger dangermama, at 11:32 AM  

  • Like you, Addie I wondered if the friends knew which sin caused his condition. But then I went in a different direction.

    I love your thoughts Addie! And, get over the whole thing about offending someone. God is still "in all we do" and He will bring good out of whatever misunderstanding which might incur. :)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home