Christian Chapter Chat

9.13.2006

Silence

I remember when Josh McDowell’s book, “Evidence That Demands a Verdict” came out; a catchphrase that became very popular and still holds true is: ‘Lord, Liar, Lunatic’, when referring to Jesus and in defending Christianity. I thought of that as I read this chapter.

The scariest truth is that in my own observation (even in the Bible belt) we have once again sought out our own RELIGION and PURSUITS as God remains silent. We seek to hear Him in times of trouble and national and personal crises, but would prefer the ‘hands-off’ approach the remainder of the time. I’m speaking WE in the corporate sense here and again, from my own
observation and perspective.

It’s as though we have forgotten the definition of faith. More than that we have forgotten the price paid. We have forgotten our history. It always seems so sad that what draws us together in community is typically extreme opposition and war and when we occasionally remember our past. I think we fail to realize and accept we are at war every single day and it seems; though Christ won the ultimate victory, we are losing battles right and left.

I know there are times when I hear the audible voice of God. There are times when I hear inaudibly, the voice of God. It is clearly Him. Yet, I see even in my own life I wander away. I lose track and lose hope when those times of silence come. I could totally identify with the passages on “drinking dreams” and the words on the wall of the concentration camp.

“I believe in the sun, even though it doesn’t shine,
I believe in love, even when it isn’t shown,
I believe in God, even when he doesn’t speak.”

Piercing truth in these words!

2 Comments:

  • I remember reading Josh's book and being struck by that same chapter!

    I agree with you on how we are at war every single day. It seems to me we just stick our head in the sand like an ostrich, I guess, hoping that once we pull our head out of the sand everything will be a-okay. How silly of us!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 9:04 AM  

  • "I think we fail to realize and accept we are at war every single day and it seems; though Christ won the ultimate victory, we are losing battles right and left."

    What a great thought, Kim, and I couldn't agree more. I think we get all wrapped up in our worship and church going and forget it's about ministering to others that saves lives. It's that darn "dirty mirror" thing - we just can't seem to see the forest for the trees!

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home