Christian Chapter Chat

2.27.2006

An Insightful Moment at Bethesda

Well, once again, I end up going off in a totally different direction than any of the rest of you! I wrote this last night and then went to post it and almost thought twice about it. Your points all deal with the direct words of Gire and how it affected the religious leaders of the day but I - I get stuck right at the top of the chapter with this verse...

Gire writes:

"There is a set of rhythms we are all affected by because we are all surrounded by them from the earliest stages in our development...After we are born, we experience other rhythms. The rising and setting of the sun. The ebb and flow of the tides. The coming and going fo the seasons. From the life cycle of the mayfly to the lunar cycle of the moon, the rhythms of life regulate our world."

Have you ever read something and thought to yourself, "Nobody knows this about me but me?" This, I think, is one of those things for me. I'm acutely aware of the cycles of our world. I have this odd ability to detect time and movement in things and in people. I don't really know how to describe it so it makes sense, but sense is what it is...I have this other sense.

(And no, I don't see dead people and I can't read people's minds or tell you where the dead person's body is buried...it's not like that. But, there is a frequency that plays in my mind that I'm pretty sure almost everyone else misses because every time I talk about it, people look at me like I'm off my rocker.)


I'm not off my rocker.

I'm more on my rocker than most people will probably ever hope to be.

But in all the times I've tried to describe this trait about myself, everyone has absolutely no idea what I'm talking about it. The only way I have been able to describe it is to tell someone "take female intuition and take that times ten and then stand back and watch what comes your way."

I don't know how or why it happens but it does - and after 46 years of living with it, I can pretty much feel the rhythm of things in this world - both small and sometimes very large - I just get this sense of things.

Gire goes on to write:

"But there are other rhythms at work in the world. Spiritual rhythms. Pulsing from the heart of our heavely Father. Jesus listened for those rhythms the way a migrating animal listens to a seasonal change in temperature or the steady signal of the earth's magnetic field. Jesus sensed the movements of the Father the way the tides sensed the movements of the moon."

This is what GOT me about this chapter because this is how we - to this day - communicate with the Father. We "sense" He wants something from us or we "sense" that He has told us something. Without this "sense" we would have no connection to God...no real ongoing way to develop a relationship with Him. Instead, we would have what I had for him when I was a child - respect, fear, wonder - but I was left with no "sense" of Him. The relationship I now have with God couldn't grow until God Himself made it known to me that the time was right. It was like He whispered in my ear, "It's time now...come and find me."

And me, being able to so easily sense the other rhythms in life, had very little trouble eventually hearing this one- despite the struggles I was having with indwelling sin and my constant barrage of The Enemy. God turned on another "sense" in me that night and I've been plugged into that frequency ever since.

I pray my "dial" never change its stations.

8 Comments:

  • Im so glad that you DID post this... its amazing that someone is so in tune with everything - I guess this is one of your God-given talents... I love that you got something out of this lesson that none of us else did... :)

    By Blogger dangermama, at 1:49 PM  

  • No, you are definitely not off your rocker. I truly believe we all have what you describe in limited capacities and that we once had it as a species much more fully. Perhaps it was a trade off for another more fully developed trait (like aggression?) that served us to survive in an earlier time. My own peculiar sense is being able to see patterns in things... people don'tknow what I'm talking about either.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 2:02 PM  

  • Jules, I'm so glad you went ahead and posted. It isn't about us all being the same, remember? It's all about what each of us gets out of it and sharing that.

    I know exactly what you mean. I can walk into a room and feel the nuances of what is going on. It stood me in good stead when I was working. I would walk in the front door of the office and I could "read" the tension, or the lack of it, and judge the over all tone. That always helped me to know how to approach my day and the people without being "blindsided."

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 2:20 PM  

  • Thanks everybody. I was having a really tough time posting anything anywhere this morning. I hated what I had written over at FOF and pulled it off. I hated this (because it was so "me, me, me") and so I didn't feel like I should post it and I couldn't even think of a simple prayer to write over at the new blog.

    By the way CJ...why haven't you joined the new blog? Is it cause you pray enough as it is? LOL

    Anyway, it was the first time in almost a year that I truly doubted everything I had written and then it dawned on me I'm doing a whole series on spiritual warfare and I should get over it and post it cause that's the last thing the enemy would want me to do.

    So thanks...thanks for sharing all your thoughts. I feel much better and dare I say much stronger now. Pretty cool.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 6:00 PM  

  • Okay, I must be missing something. I don't know about a new blog. Or is this the Lenten blog you mentioned somewhere? I thought you had to be invited and I wasn't so I guess I figured there was a good reason. (I'm into the whole letting go thing these days.)

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 6:24 PM  

  • CJ! Woman! Nun! Listen up!

    What it said was, if you wanted to join in on the Lenten Prayer blog, let me know and I'd SEND you an invitation. That's how multiple blogs work. One person sends out invitations and then the others have access to posting - just like we did for this one. Oh you silly, silly woman...why would we NOT want you to be part of the prayer blog???

    Claire and Addie, what are we going to do with her??? :-)

    Miss CJ, would you LIKE to join the Lenten Prayer blog? I'd be happy to send you an invite. In fact, I'd be thrilled.

    By Blogger HeyJules, at 7:08 PM  

  • Duh, okay. Yep, You bet.

    By Blogger Claire Joy, at 7:50 PM  

  • Well, I think we can spare her the 30 lashes with a wet noodle! ;)

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home